UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2019, 10:23 pm   #1
greg_simons
Octode

Default BF173 transistor question

As many here will know I'm restoring a thorn 2k, long job!, well I've got to the if strip and have to replace several bf173's that have rotted off the board, new ones have been obtained but,,,when inserted into my cheapo transistor tester it shows a diode strapped twist collector and emitter, a check with the meter shows the same, I thought they were just a bipolar device, can anyone explain and have I got the right devices, this should be something I know but don't I think!.
Greg.
Old 1st Jun 2019, 10:43 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: bf173 transistor question

Data sheet shows an NPN transistor with 4 legs - clockwise from the tab - base, emitter, collector, case.
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 7:59 pm   #3
ctc15
Pentode

Default Re: BF173 transistor question

Hi Greg
The diode strapped between collector and emitter is the integrated screen to minimise the undesirable collector - base capacitance.
Keith
Old 2nd Jun 2019, 8:17 pm   #4
greg_simons
Octode

Hi Keith
Many thanks for that info, it makes sense now, if it hadn't been for that cheap tester I wouldn't be asking the question, the project continues,,,,
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 8:19 am   #5
greg_simons
Octode

Ok mods, looks like I have the answer to my question, I'd forgotten miller capacitance, this thread can be closed.
Greg.