UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2019, 12:29 pm   #1
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Default Electrical books

Whilst not vintage radio, I hope the Mod will move if felt inappropriate.
I have 40 booklets 1-40, published many years ago by Newnes the title of which is Practical Electrical Engineering. These booklets are very informative covering item of electricity, from domestic house wiring to large transformer, motor drives in industry and a circuit diagram for a radio receiver. I think they date back to 1930's does any one know better ?
Old 28th May 2019, 9:46 am   #2
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Electrical books

Hi, some photos would be nice to see.
Regards - Mike
Old 28th May 2019, 12:16 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Random Google image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Practical Electrical Engineering.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	184007  
Old 28th May 2019, 1:32 pm   #4
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello.
On the inside of the front cover of Volume 16 is an advert for Bennett College which states Founded 1900, 31 years of success. By volume 17 it states Founded 1900, 32 years of success.
At the back it tells you when the next volume is published. Volume 19 is published on Feb 19 and Volume 21 on March 4 which implies a Leap Year which would suggest 1932 to comply with the above.
The above suggests publication (in weekly parts) in 1931-1932.
These were part works published weekly but are most commonly found having been bound into four or five volumes.
Yours, Richard

Last edited by Mr Moose; 28th May 2019 at 1:42 pm.
Old 28th May 2019, 4:09 pm   #5
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Many thanks to Bill for posting the pictures and to Richard for the dating.
I've had the books for several years and whilst I'm long time retired person, I'm a frequent reader of the books and learn some thing every time I get them out. Apparently there was a similar series on metal working which I would like to obtain. Ted
Closed Thread