UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2018, 10:15 am   #21
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: BVWS Harpenden Sun 11th March

As I understand it, the new Harpenden Public Halls are to be built in the park behind the Rothamsted Research base. They will contain all the present facilities and more in one complex. My brother organises events at Harpenden Hall for Harpenden Lions and when I told him Vic's news he made enquiries.
Neil
Old 13th Mar 2018, 10:31 am   #22
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Mmm, but a lot of members are in Scotland too.
The transport question is important.
Its just that so much is southern based and we are the Northern Power House.
Move it around each year? problematical I know, done it with other organisations, but it answers a lot of the questions.
Golborne is precious to us, could more be made of it?
Old 13th Mar 2018, 10:37 am   #23
high_vacuum_house
Octode

I think that the "centre of gravity" of BVWS members will be along the M1/A5 corridor and somewhere between Luton and say Northampton maybe Rugby or Leicester a little further north will be the most benefit to most members.

Its a pity that we cannot please all members where ever in the country it is held. You could hold it slightly north say near Birmingham though the transport from Wiltshire may be too far even though you are roughly in the centre of the country. Would then still be a massive drive for members in the SE/SW though less travel for members in NE/NW.

Christopher Capener
Old 13th Mar 2018, 11:32 am   #24
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifocaltrev View Post
However one has to remember that the bulk of the items offered at BVWS Auctions are transported from the BVWS Store near Swindon to the events. If the events are too far away from the stores our excellent team may well feel that the distance involved is too great to justify the considerable effort involved in loading the van over several days and then a greater travelling time to the venue, which will involve greater expense.

At the end of the day, we have to remember that these events are only made possible by the time and effort freely given by an unpaid band of volunteers.
Also bear in mind that the RWB auctions are set up the night before, which is the only way it can be done for a big auction with lots of large, heavy and valuable lots. So anywhere that was more than an hour or so from the BVWS store would need overnight accommodation for Mike and others, and van hire if it is more than one van load.

This all costs money, and we have to make sure the auctions are financially viable, with all costs covered by the seller's fees. It is also a lot of work, all unpaid, for Mike and other volunteers.

There is also the cost of hiring the hall on the Saturday evening as well as Sunday. This is viable at RWB Memorial Hall because the hire cost is reasonable (although I believe Saturday evening costs us nearly as much as all day Sunday).

Harpenden is set up on the morning, which is why it is normally a smaller auction with lower quality lots - quicker and easier to unload and set up (the back entrance to the stage helps too).

The same sort of items are sold at the BVWS stall at Golborne, for the same reason.

If there are members in the vicinity of any new venue who can volunteer their time to help with setting up, maybe have a guest bedroom to avoid hotel costs, or a van to do a run to Devizes and back, that would all help.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 13th Mar 2018, 11:37 am   #25
Cobaltblue

Well its quite clear before any sensible decisions can be made we need to know the membership demographic.

As well as bearing in mind the point made by Paul above.

The Membership secretary probably has that but of course any data needs to be anonymised.

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 13th Mar 2018 at 11:38 am. Reason: Paul posted whilst I was in Edit
Old 13th Mar 2018, 11:42 am   #26
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
Move it around each year?
It is difficult enough to find one new venue that suits our needs to replace Harpenden. Just finding different venues each year would be a near impossible task, before we consider the logistics of table hire, catering, auction setup, transport, local overnight accommodation etc. We would then have no idea how many people will turn up.

If someone wants to volunteer to do this for the BVWS though, then feel free to offer.

The only way it can be done is with a few regular venues where we have things in place and know how it will work year-to-year. Even then there can be unexpected issues, such as the staging and catering at Harpenden this time.

Paul Stenning
Old 13th Mar 2018, 11:10 pm   #27
Sean Williams
Dekatron

The village hall at Cottered is quite good, and I have organised a couple of amateur radio rallies there, as well as a couple of repair workshops.

I might also be able to help with running an event from there too

Cheers
Sean
Old 14th Mar 2018, 12:01 am   #28
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high_vacuum_house View Post
I think that the "centre of gravity" of BVWS members will be along the M1/A5 corridor and somewhere between Luton and say Northampton maybe Rugby or Leicester a little further north will be the most benefit to most members.

Its a pity that we cannot please all members where ever in the country it is held. You could hold it slightly north say near Birmingham though the transport from Wiltshire may be too far even though you are roughly in the centre of the country. Would then still be a massive drive for members in the SE/SW though less travel for members in NE/NW.

Christopher Capener
Yes, most people are down there, Yes, you can't please al the people all the time, but the people in the south east corner seem to have several auctions within day-trip range, but the people in the rest of the country don't get less in terms of proportionate to their numbers, they get nothing at all.

It's not just the BVWS, there's the audiojumbles, camera fairs and many other things.

It's just the way the cookie crumbles, and I understand all the perfectly sound reasons, but maybe the BVWS could try just a little to live up to it's first initial?

David
Old 14th Mar 2018, 12:02 am   #29
GMB
Dekatron

VMARS use the village hall at Bagington, near Coventry.

That is both further north, but usefully for the organisers is about the same distance and time from Devizes.

A bonus is that it is near the aircraft museum.
Old 14th Mar 2018, 10:16 am   #30
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
The village hall at Cottered is quite good, and I have organised a couple of amateur radio rallies there, as well as a couple of repair workshops.

I might also be able to help with running an event from there too

Cheers
Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB View Post
VMARS use the village hall at Bagington, near Coventry.

That is both further north, but usefully for the organisers is about the same distance and time from Devizes.

A bonus is that it is near the aircraft museum.
Can you both please email or PM Greg with details of these venues, so he can add them to the list of options to consider.

I attended one of the workshops at Cottered Sean, and from what I remember of the hall it would be good.

Paul Stenning
Old 14th Mar 2018, 10:23 am   #31
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
... the people in the rest of the country don't get less in terms of proportionate to their numbers, they get nothing at all.

It's not just the BVWS, there's the audiojumbles, camera fairs and many other things ...
I'm afraid it's the 'statistics of small numbers' too. The wireless people and the audio people and the camera people operate independently of course. So within each individual community there might only be a very few events a year. Meeting the needs of ten percent of the community proportionately could involve staging 0.4 of a show.

I have an audio friend who relocated a few years ago to Fetlar http://www.fetlar.org/. He loves it for the closeness to nature, the sense of community and the wonderful birdlife (he's a twitcher as well as a hi-fi buff) and he accepts that in return for all that he has to travel if he wants to get together with old friends. Because realistically we are not all going to go and see him. Last year a weekend of listening and eating and, I have to say, sipping too was organised at the beautiful Lopwell Barn http://lopwellbarn.co.uk/ on the Devon/Cornwall border. My friend from Fetlar came - proof, if it were needed, that it can be done. Later this year we will have another Lopwell event and also one in the wilds of N Yorks https://independenthostels.co.uk/mem...bunkhousebarn/. Neither is near me but I shall go to both.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 14th Mar 2018, 2:14 pm   #32
terry123
Pentode

Hi all,

I doubt that there are many rallies or events much further than the annual Galashiels rally. This is the only major radio related event I can think of and probably as far up as traders will go in Scotland. As regards the BVWS, It is true to say that the bulk of the events are in the south historically that is due to whole raft of things already covered by others. The BVWS committee have received a number of very good suggestions for suitable venues to build on the very successful and long running Harpenden Hall event these will all be considered very carefully.

Several years ago I looked into organising and running a regional BVWS event in Scotland. The MOC at Burtisland was one such venue that might serve as a suitable venue at reasonable cost. As soon as you ask for help though it all goes quiet. So if the demand is there for a small Scottish BVWS meeting, I'll certainly consider organising it but won't do it alone.

A fair balance has to be struck with things and when you have the sorts of interests that we all share, that travel is inevitable fact of life.

Regards

Terry
Old 14th Mar 2018, 2:38 pm   #33
Boater Sam
Banned

I fully understand the transport problems and the back breaking work done by Mike Barker and others in getting the stock to auction.

However, just to be devil's advocate for a moment, Mike & co are not going to want to do this for ever. Is it time to start using alternating venues and transport to suit before we are faced with no one to do the donkey work anywhere?

Tin hat on, head down, fingers in ears.
Sam
Old 14th Mar 2018, 5:57 pm   #34
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Suggested and sort of volunteered to Greg
Old 14th Mar 2018, 6:50 pm   #35
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
I fully understand the transport problems and the back breaking work done by Mike Barker and others in getting the stock to auction.

However, just to be devil's advocate for a moment, Mike & co are not going to want to do this for ever. Is it time to start using alternating venues and transport to suit before we are faced with no one to do the donkey work anywhere?
That is a very reasonable point. Mike stood down from the committee last year, and this is probably his first step of gradually doing less for the BVWS. He has put in many thousands of hours over the years for the society, and I think we are overdue for others to start taking over the auction work from him.

We have had a couple of other committee changes recently (due to older members needing to step down). These, along with the change of chairman last year, replacement venue for Harpenden meetings, and various other matters have kept the committee especially busy recently. I think once things have settled down, reducing Mike's workload has to be a priority.

(This is all my opinion, not stating any official BVWS position).

Paul Stenning
Old 14th Mar 2018, 6:51 pm   #36
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Suggested and sort of volunteered to Greg
Thanks Sean.

Paul Stenning
Old 15th Mar 2018, 1:10 am   #37
murphymad
Heptode

How long will I continue doing the BVWS auctions ?

You have got about 8 to 10 years tops.

From then onwards I want to be sitting looking out on the sea with a G&T in one hand whilst listening to music on a 1930's Murphy A40 console or A40RG radiogram.

I can already hear the sea gulls and the waves breaking on the shore.

It will also spell the end of the RWB meeting being organised by me.

Mike...
Old 15th Mar 2018, 3:58 am   #38
Boater Sam
Banned

From the horse's mouth, time to start planning alternatives?

I sincerely hope that Mike can carry on as long as he wishes, but we are all getting older and we never know what is around the corner.
To be so reliant on one person is not sensible or fair to the person.
Old 15th Mar 2018, 4:42 am   #39
Radio Wrangler

It seems the BVWS needs to find someone young, strong, with a van and a spare barn... and plenty of time on their hands

But what if they're in Exeter, Ystrad Mynach, Cumbernald or Lurgan?

Population densities fall outside the South East corner, but so do property prices and the availability of empty buildings improves.

There is a sort of gravitational collapse drawing everything into a small area, but once you get outside the event horizon you find scenery, fresh air and you get to be the first owner of all the water you drink. QRM is lower and my car spends most of the time in top gear. On the balance, the radio rallies, auctions and the camera fairs won't shift me.

I'm rather impressed by the amount of interesting stuff David Simpson comes across.

David
Old 15th Mar 2018, 11:03 am   #40
Dickie
Octode

The term "succession planning" comes to mind. Yet another task for the committee to worry about.

It is evident that, apart from the obvious physical requirements for a meeting hall (cost, size, parking, etc.) there is also the need for enough relatively local volunteers to organise and run the event.It is unreasonable to expect the same committee members to travel all over. In my 28 years of BVWS membership I don't recall there ever being a general request for event volunteers. Please tell me I'm wrong. There have been one or two requests for help at the various Bring and Buy stalls, but that's it. It goes without saying that members can actively turn up and volunteer, but that isn't quite the same thing and doesn't dig out the less than confident. Maybe now is the time for a members survey to find out who may be prepared to volunteer, how far they would be prepared to travel, etc, etc.

Richard, BVWS member
Closed Thread