UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2016, 1:05 am   #21
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: NVCF - Bring & Buy

Really enjoyed the day there, not many youngsters sadly, but had very interesting natters all day. My young friend who kindly drove me there and back commented on the very large numbers of people wearing check shirts, which included me
He thinks if he comes next year he will open a stall of check shirts as they should sell well.
Best bargains of course just before the day ends as Traders did not want to take stock home. I bought some 10.5 inch reels of TDK tape which have turned out to be of terrific quality and I went mad buying almost £200 worth of Brimar valves. It is dangerous for me to take a lot of cash to events like this but I managed to keep away from the 'woodies'
Old 16th May 2016, 10:29 am   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have added some mobile phone photos of the exhibition to the BVWS Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/BritishVintageWirelessSociety/

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th May 2016, 10:30 am   #23
Beobloke
Heptode

Another excellent day and I would also like to add my thanks to the organisers of both the event and the superb display.

Sadly, there was very little to interest me purchase-wise there, which hasn't happened for a long time! Still, my wallet and wife were relieved when I arrived home with only 4 x 50p LPs and an Audio Technica Safety Raiser to show for the day out!
Old 16th May 2016, 5:53 pm   #24
harvestgold
Hexode

A really great day this year - the highlight, as always, being the bring & buy stall! Everything I brought with me sold, as did most of the things I donated too, so I managed to go home with slightly less than I came with. . .

I'm pleased with all I bought, including an Advance signal generator, Hacker AL42 extension speaker, and a disassembled but complete Goldring Lenco GL75 (less arm) which was hidden in a box under a table and only cost £15, as well as some records and tapes and other bits. Not forgetting a set of 50, "Newnes Practical Enquire Within" magazines from 1933/34 which are very interesting indeed.

Thanks to the organisers for a great display and to those on the bring & buy who were working hard all day!

Neil.
Old 16th May 2016, 6:11 pm   #25
Ekcofan
Retired Dormant Member

Hello folks;
Quite a while since I have visited. I really enjoyed it and my wife appreciated the cafe balcony so she could sit and keep an eye on me! As Top Cap alludes, wandering and waiting a while saw several stall holders rewriting price tickets and I managed to get a discount below that on the two Ekco's I bought. I would love an old TV but the prices were higher than I had expected and I was outvoted when we were coming away.
Still, I will pop it on the calendar for next year. I am sure we missed some gems not being able to arrive till lunchtime!
Old 16th May 2016, 7:50 pm   #26
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quite an amazing day meeting so many friends. The television display was really great and all the receivers ran all day without so much as a frame slip. A lot of time consuming organization provided by everyone connected with the show. Well worth it! Regards, John.
Old 17th May 2016, 4:35 pm   #27
slidertogrid
Octode

I had a very busy day helping on my mate's stall. we had a right laugh and everyone without exception was a pleasure to deal with. judging by the amount we sold early on I would say his prices were good. you still get the odd person that tries for half of what you are asking though!
I had a look around but wasn't looking to buy anything really, I hung my nose over the CVC5/9 but resisted as I have too many sets already. I was surprised to see it still there at the end.
There were a couple of KB hand wired dual standard sets for sale early on they were both good prices. Luckily by the time I had given in to temptation they had both sold.
The only thing I bought in the end was a VC200 UHF tuner £2. all I need now is the rest of the set!
A brilliant day. looking forward to next year.
Is anyone going to Cinema museum the 5th June that was mentioned at the end?
Will that be the same sort of thing or more Hi Fi only?
Regards
Rich.
Old 18th May 2016, 2:43 pm   #28
David Simpson
Nonode

I wasn't there, but my pal Duncan tells me that Jeremy was kept jolly busy & had done a great job at the B & B set-up. Personal thanks from me to Duncan & Jeremy for their FCS help.

Regards, David
Old 19th May 2016, 8:04 pm   #29
Paul Stenning
Administrator

There are a further 46 photos (decent ones this time!) on the BVWS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/BritishVintageWirelessSociety/

I will hopefully get copies for the website in the next few days too.

Paul Stenning
Old 20th May 2016, 8:34 am   #30
MurphyNut
Heptode

Thanks for the link enjoyed the pictures very much, wish I had gone now, lots of interesting things.
Old 20th May 2016, 9:37 am   #31
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I had a thoroughly enjoyable day, although bought very little - not a lot of military stuff there, and what I did see I already have enough examples of!
I bought an Air Ministry dummy load unit, and stocked up on silicone-rubber insulated wire from the only source I know of in all the colours.

Many thanks to the organisers!

Andy
Old 27th May 2016, 8:34 am   #32
brymac
Hexode

Many thanks to those to expressed interest in my Tefifon display, which has sparked off some interesting e-mails about the system, as well as from those who have a Tefifon and are not sure what it does!!

It was a very interesting experience to be part of NVCF as opposed to wandering through the hall looking for bargains, as I have done each year! I enjoyed being part of the members’ collection display and got to meet some very interesting visitors from various parts of the world - if I had a pound for everybody who said they had never seen anything like a Tefifon before, I could have paid my way home!

There was also considerable interest and numerous comments about how good it was to see what BVWS members get up to as opposed to just coming the the Fair and buying stuff.

I think I was the only person actually standing in front of the members' display, but really could only talk about my bit of it - it occurs to me that if we run something similar next time around, it would be good to have a few other members on hand to answer questions about the items on display - I’m afraid that vintage TV converters are not my strong suit!!

Perhaps we could also use the members’ display to tell people about the Society and what great value membership represents; sometimes I sometimes think BVWS undersell ourselves…..

Anyhow, glad to have been there - aside from the fact that after 6 hours of talking, I had lost my voice, it was a very rewarding day!! And thanks to Jeremy Day for all his help...

Do let me know if I can help again next year - I would be more than happy to do so, with an enhanced Teflon display and also some examples of my other speciality - the huge Schaub Lorenz 5001 music centre!

All the best,

Bryan McAlley
Old 5th Jun 2016, 10:25 pm   #33
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

It was nice to meet you there, Bryan, and you make a good point about the displays being generally 'unmanned' although from personal experience, it can be a very tedious duty explaining the same thing to numerous individual visitors! I'm glad you were willing to do your bit.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 8th Jun 2016, 9:12 am   #34
newlite4
Octode

Anyone know what Mike announced mid afternoon around 3.00pm? Something about stall bookings for next years NVCF? It was noisy at my end and rather echoey so I missed some of it.
Neil
Old 8th Jun 2016, 3:33 pm   #35
slidertogrid
Octode

Mike made an announcement towards the end mentioning the event at the Cinema Museum on June 5th.
I attended, it is a wonderful place but not many stalls or people on the day. It Needed more promoting IMHO but then as Mike said if 700 people had turned up there would have been problems with fire regs.
I bought a little Transistor Ekco "208" with bandspread from the BVWS stall it's like new and works perfectly. That made the trip worthwhile!
The journey home was challenging though due to a burst water main in one of the tunnels the traffic was horrendous and it took about an hour and a half to get out of London onto the Motorway home.
Hopefully as word gets around future events will be better attended.
I really enjoyed the NVCF this year it just seems to get better every year. A huge thanks to all who made it happen! I am looking forward to next year already!
Rich.
Old 8th Jun 2016, 5:26 pm   #36
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The other announcement at some point during the afternoon was that stall booking forms would not be automatically posted out next year. Instead stallholders are asked to download and print from the website.

Those who are unable to do so (not online, no printer etc) can still request a form be posted, and should give their name and address to Mike or Guy.

Paul Stenning
Old 9th Jun 2016, 9:15 am   #37
newlite4
Octode

Thanks for clarifying that Paul,
Neil