UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2010, 4:42 pm   #1
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default crooked fingerplate on 332 dial

As can be seen from the image below, the fingerplate on this dial from a 332 'phone isn't parallel with the body of the dial as it should be. The fingerplate itself isn't bent - it's the mounting which is at an angle. Is there any way to adjust the mount?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	332dial.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	43692  
Old 8th Dec 2010, 4:05 am   #2
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: crooked fingerplate on 332 dial

Do you mean the chrome part on top of the dial (which holds the label etc) or the "brass" part beneath the dial?
Old 8th Dec 2010, 11:46 am   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

It is the brass part to which the fingerplate screws which seems to sit at an odd angle, resulting in the fingerplate being further from the backplate opposite the fingerstop - remaining unchanged as the fingerplate rotates.

Incidentally, I should say that this doesn't adversely affect the functioning of the dial - merely its appearance. If a repair isn't feasible, I'll simply reassemble the 'phone and live with this - keeping an eye out for a replacement dial at an affordable price.
Old 9th Dec 2010, 2:41 am   #4
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Looking at a No 12, that shouldn't really be possible as the brass part is squashed between the fingerplate and the main spindle, held tight by the main screw (Finger-plate Securing Screw). Has it been cleaned and reassembled?
Old 9th Dec 2010, 4:44 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM3000 View Post
Has it been cleaned and reassembled?
Not by me. I have not disassembled further than detaching the fingerplate.
Old 30th Jan 2011, 3:57 am   #6
viper401
Retired Dormant Member

I have the same problem on my spare type 12 dial. I'd love to fix it.
Old 9th Feb 2011, 9:48 am   #7
BakeliteBear
Pentode

I have fixed this problem many times!

Assuming the plate is fixed tightly to the main shaft, the problem is that the bearing in the main body of the dial has been bent out of alignment. The only solution is to fully strip the dial and straighten the bearing. Don't try to do it without stripping the dial or you will do more harm than good.

I have posted on this forum several times before about fully stripping a dial and many seen to be very scared to do so. It is the only way to remove all the dried oil and grime and will return it to the correct speed without deforming the governor. If it were a vintage clock you would have it cleaned as a matter of course – a dial is a similar type of mechanism.

If you take your time and take plenty of photographs it is fairly straightforward - mind you I have done literally hundreds!

Regards Chris
Old 9th Feb 2011, 12:40 pm   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

As it works fine and is only slightly aesthetically challenged, I decided in the end to leave it as it is. You have, however, confirmed my own diagnosis that the ineternals are bent - so trying to straighten it could end up breaking it.