UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2007, 5:41 pm   #1
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Nice picture from 1946

A friend sent me this. Bit posh, isn't it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv1946 (Medium).jpg
Views:	290
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	13992  
Old 14th Dec 2007, 5:55 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Nice picture from 1946

Sent to me by a friend who's got a fair number of vintage TVs and radios but is not a forum member. I've asked him where it came from.

I've got a funny feeling that the picture is rather earlier than 1946 and is a prediction of a televisual future. It's difficult to see how it could have been painted during the post-war austerity.

PS: I've just been told it came from Illustrated News magazine. Unfortunately I don't have a date.

Last edited by ppppenguin; 14th Dec 2007 at 6:23 pm.
Old 14th Dec 2007, 8:29 pm   #3
pmmunro
Octode

Perhaps time to call in assistance from the experts.

I would expect that most of us could date a radio/television set to a year or two by the characteristic appearance of the components but how many of us can date a hairstyle or dress fashion as accurately?

I would also guess that most publicity artists were male at this time and would not be able to predict fashion matters, or perhaps it was safest to stick with the familiar.

The drawing may be more egalitarian than suggested; by 1946, everyone would be well-enough off to live in this style, wouldn't they?

PMM.
Old 14th Dec 2007, 9:43 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I'm no historian, either, but my guess is that the picture may date from the late 1930s, before the war - the audience's clothing suggests a pre-war opulence that would have been well out-of-date by 1945, as others have mentioned.

Fascinating! Thanks for posting it Jeffrey.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 14th Dec 2007 at 9:50 pm. Reason: Repetitition removed
Old 15th Dec 2007, 11:03 am   #5
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The artist is Steven Spurrier, a well known illustrator.
Old 15th Dec 2007, 11:12 am   #6
Aerodyne
Octode

Interesting picture, Jeffrey. Not a brilliant work of art by any means, but rather obviously of the late 1930s period (even if it turns out to have been published post-war!). The combined radio/TV is the mirror-lid type, again an obvious 1930s connection. The idea of evening dress for TV watching is another throwback to the period - lots of early 30s radio magazines depicted an impossibly elegant world, sadly far removed from reality (probably, however, what people wished for in those austere, depressed times) where chaps in tail coats wore headphones to listen to invisible announcers dressed similarly. This elitist magazine attitude (on the part of the illustrators if not the technical staff) clung on into the 1950s; remember Practical Wireless covers, showing gents in bow ties and suits working at the bench?
Barnaby Hyndesyte strikes again...
-Tony
Old 15th Dec 2007, 5:34 pm   #7
Station X

It's interesting that there are seven women and four men in the picture. Presumably women were more likely to watch TV than men?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th Dec 2007, 6:51 pm   #8
pmmunro
Octode

Maybe I was too subtle, not usually a problem; the "experts" I had in mind were people who would know about dress and hairstyling of the mid 20th century. Does no one have a wife/partner/girlfriend who can pinpoint these fashion cues to within a month or two? Surely we wouldn't be reluctant to ask, would we?

PMM.
Old 15th Dec 2007, 7:26 pm   #9
Ray Cooper
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
...Does no one have a wife/partner/girlfriend who can pinpoint these fashion cues to within a month or two?...
I have submitted this piccie to She Who Must Be Obeyed, and she unhesitatingly said 'mid to late 'thirties'.

Her reasoning included the following factors:

* the evening costume worn by the adult males was obsolete by 1946

* the hair-styles of the ladies are certainly 'thirties

* the 'puffed sleeves' of the young girl are certainly pre-war

* the Eton collar and bum-freezer jacket of the young boy would also be obsolete post-war.

Another interesting facet is that the caption clearly calls attention to the date '1946'. If it were a contemporary illustration of 1946, this would not be necessary. If, however, the date is 1936, the picture can be seen as a projection of the future - 'this is what television will be like in ten years time'.

They weren't to know about WWII, after all, and couldn't be expected to predict the fashions ten years hence...
Old 15th Dec 2007, 7:28 pm   #10
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

I've printed the original picture and will consult the aforementioned Lady Helen who knows a thing or two about fashion, decor and style (which is more than can be said for me).

Regards,

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 8th Dec 2008 at 1:01 pm. Reason: Reference to deleted quote removed (for archive)
Old 15th Dec 2007, 7:31 pm   #11
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cooper View Post
the picture can be seen as a projection of the future - 'this is what television will be like in ten years time'.
Ray, or Mrs Ray got in first!

I think that Ray's comment quoted above is an interesting one and probably pretty accurate.

Regards,
Old 15th Dec 2007, 7:42 pm   #12
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
'this is what television will be like in ten years time'
I agree with Ray and his SWMBO, I'm sure they've got it right. One slightly surprising thing is that the picture shows a mirror lid set. Even in 1936 this was just an ugly expedient to keep the cabinet to a reasonable depth. It wouldn't have taken much of a look into the future to have a directly viewed picture. Maybe not a flat display, like that prediction of home shopping picture in an (Mullard?) advertisement that I've seen somewhere. Heaven knows why Ekco made the TSC48 after the war.
Old 16th Dec 2007, 1:02 pm   #13
Aerodyne
Octode

An artist can only work on an extrapolation of existing technology and scientific knowledge whenever attempting to depict the future*. Long-throw CRTs were the only type at one point in the mid/late 1930s and the mirror-lid was possibly the only way of obtaining a reasonable size of picture without dismantling walls!
If only reality had been anything like the image shown for more than the privileged few.
-Tony
*Some do it brilliantly, though. Take Frank Hampson's 1951 creation, Dan Dare...
Closed Thread