UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Mar 2020, 4:54 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default My isolating transformer unit

Some years ago I was given an RS 200VA isolating transformer. The primary is tapped 0-230-415V, there are 2 secondaries each 55-0-55V.

Today I decided to finally get round to putting it in a box and wiring it up with suitable connectors.

Mains input on an 'IEC' chassis plug (you know what I mean), 1A thermal circuit breaker (I've seen similar breakers, high rating used in 'site transformers' and so far this one has not nuisance-tripped) and a double pole toggle switch (rated for 3A inductive load, so it should be OK).

On the output side, a 4 pole changeover switch. Two poles connect the secondaries in series (220V out) or parallel (110V out), actually nearer 230 and 115V due to the high-ish mains voltage here. The other 2 poles connect the output to either an 'IEC' socket (230V) or a US mains socket (115V). I've connected a neon indicator across each one to indicate which is live.

I could only find a pair of 110V neons in the junk box. No problem, the neon bulb is the same in the 230V version, just a larger series resistor. So a 180k resistor in series with the unit made the 110V one fine on the 230V output.

The reason for the 2 different output connectors is that to over-voltage an American device I both have to mis-set the toggle switch and plug it into the wrong socket (which would mean finding an adapter lead etc). I think that's unlikely to occur.

And now for that old chestnut of output side earthing. Obviously the secondaries are fully floating wrt earth. What I did about the 'earth' pin on the output sockets was wire them together (only one socket will be used at a time after all) and to a 4mm socket on the case. Another 4mm socket (spaced the standard 3/4" away) is linked to mains earth/the casing. So I can jumper them toghether if I want the safety earth on the output linked to mains earth (and I can see times when it is a good idea) or not as I choose. Or put a flying lead into the 'mains earth' 4mm socket to connect to the exposed metalwork of the unit under test.

Maybe not ideal for use by non-technical people but I think it will be fine on my workbench.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 6:59 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: My isolating transformer unit

I've attached a couple of photos of the thing (the complete unit and the wiring on the back of the panel) along with the circuit diagram just in case anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isolating_Transfomer_Unit.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	201579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front_Panel_Wiring.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	201580  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Isolating_Transformer.pdf (860.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 25th Mar 2020, 7:38 am   #3
Keith956
Heptode

Nice one Tony, where did you get the case from? Been looking for something suitable for a 250va transformer I have.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 7:58 am   #4
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Grand work Tony, neat work. I have an iso tfmr case Keith if you want it, it's in a different style to that one though.

Andy.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 9:10 am   #5
deliverance
Heptode

Nice work Tony very neat I also have a 250va transformer that needs a case .
Old 25th Mar 2020, 11:04 am   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The case was originally from RS, but I don't think they still do them. I've had it for years, it came in a load of 'junk' (useful components) that I was given. RS do still sell plenty of cases that would have done of course.

The case came as a flat pack and was supposed to clip together with the front and back panels held on with screws into caged nuts. But I drilled through the flanges and put nuts and bolts in as well, I didn't trust the clip part.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 2:44 pm   #7
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
that is a nice looking case and design.
I wish my metalworking / design skills were as good as yours.....
Old 25th Mar 2020, 6:05 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Most of the metalwork was done by hand (marked it out, centre-punched, drilled). But I did use my limited milling facilities (a vertical slide on the lathe) to make the rectangular holes for the 3 connectors.

Not much design IMHO. Once I'd got the transformer it was just a matter of connecting the input to the mains and doing something with the secondaries. Series/parallel switching (to give suitable voltages for US or European/UK equipment) seemed an obvious idea.

When the current situation has settled down and I can go and get components again I'll get a couple of stud-mounted 4mm plugs and make a shorting link (metal block with 2 tapped holes to take said studs) for the earth sockets.
Old 25th Mar 2020, 8:15 pm   #9
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Nice work, Tony!

I love those old RS cases... wish they were still made!
Old 25th Mar 2020, 11:30 pm   #10
jimmc101
Heptode

Now there's a coincidence, I used the same case for my isolating transformer.
Instrument case Type 1 from 1973 RS catalogue £4.00 each.
Long gone I'm afraid especially at that price.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Isolating Tx.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	201617  
Old 26th Mar 2020, 12:54 pm   #11
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmc101 View Post
Instrument case Type 1 from 1973 RS catalogue £4.00 each.
Long gone I'm afraid especially at that price.

Jim

Something for £50 today would be about the same price in real terms.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th Mar 2020, 10:32 am   #12
Keith956
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Grand work Tony, neat work. I have an iso tfmr case Keith if you want it, it's in a different style to that one though.

Andy.
Interested if it will fit the transformer I have which measures approx 96mm wide x 102mm deep x 108mm high. All the boxes I've found so far tend to be very large to accommodate the height.

Keith
Closed Thread