UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2020, 4:47 pm   #1
nandesuka
Diode

Default Akai X-200D problem.

Hi all,
I've finally done it. Much to the annoyance of the wife, I've dug out my old hi-fi setup. Consists of :-
Sansui AU666 amp.
Sansui 2050c record deck.
Akai x200d tape deck.
Sony TC127 cassette deck.
Sansui SP 1200 speakers.
All Bought about 1972 from the Sony Centre in Kobe and Penang. Been up in the loft in our old house for over 20 years and in the garage in our "new" downsized house for the last two. Got it all set up, switched on and- it works! Had a bit of a time faffing about with leads and connecting points to the amp but now going great, EXCEPT the Akai. It does everything it should except the heads aren't moving on reverse playback. Can anyone tell me if this is an easy fix or would it be better to find some professional outfit to fix it?
Any advice appreciated.
Geoff.
Old 1st Apr 2020, 5:24 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Akai X-200D problem.

Hello, and welcome!

It rather depends on what your capabilities and experience are. There is a fair possibility that bits of mechanism are stiff due to hardened grease.

On the other hand some Akai models of this era have got zinc-based diecastings in their mechanism which are starting to degrade and crumble.

It's not a model I've come across, but it might not have been sold into the UK.

David
Old 1st Apr 2020, 5:38 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

You can download the service manual from this page.

You have to register but its free.

It's quite likely due to dried up grease.

It's quite an involved stripdown, but is do-able depending on your skill level.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 1st Apr 2020, 6:31 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Hello Geoff,

I have a different Akai model (GX-286DB) that had a very similar problem. In my case it was a bad contact on the Revere relay which in turn was not energising the Reverse Solenoid (so Playback head not moving). This took quite some tracking down, but I was able fix by cleaning the relay contact.

Does it make any attempt to reverse, i.e. does the play drive stop ?

Does it reverse and heads move if you press manual Reverse ?

You do have metallic sensing tape fitted, where you want it to auto reverse ?

David
Old 1st Apr 2020, 7:01 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Schematic and some basic info here:

http://sportsbil.com/other/Akai/AKAI%20X-200D%20SM.pdf

If the mechanics are free and still no joy then it's look to the electrical/electronics.

The circuit isn't complicated, basically when instructed by the reverse switch or end of tape sensor the reverse relay (RL0201) is energised. That, via a set of its contacts will initially dump a full charge from a capacitor across the reverse solenoid (SR0301) after which a holding current through it is maintained via a limiting resistor, the supply for the solenoid is derived from the 100 volt tap on the primary of the mains transformer, that feeds the solenoids supply rectifier (D0202) and thus the limiting resistor (R0213) and thus the capacitor that supplies the initial high energy level to the solenoid (C0206)

Good luck whichever.

EDIT: Post crossed.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 1st Apr 2020 at 7:09 pm.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 9:50 am   #6
nandesuka
Diode

Hi all.

Thanks for the replies.Will start to dismantle today. I think the most likely is that about hard grease. I'll just have to find it.
As I said, everything works except apparently movement of the head. The tape reverses OK, but the noise coming out is the forward play backwards.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 11:43 am   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Before you rip it apart, first check/quantify if it works when you select manual reverse playback, if it does work then that would indicate it is more likely an electrical problem.

Last edited by DMcMahon; 2nd Apr 2020 at 11:55 am.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 12:24 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
Before you rip it apart, first check/quantify if it works when you select manual reverse playback, if it does work then that would indicate it is more likely an electrical problem.
How do select manual reverse?

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 1:13 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

There are 2 manual reverse select press buttons on the front panel, one for each direction.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 1:32 pm   #10
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcMahon View Post
There are 2 manual reverse select press buttons on the front panel, one for each direction.
Yes I know that, it's a switch, part of the electricals, but you suggested that if the head shift works by selecting manual reverse then that would suggest an electrical fault.....I found that confusing.

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 1:53 pm   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

What I meant was that if the playback head moves correctly and playback works OK when a manual reverse push bottom is pressed then to me, it then is less likely to be a mechanical problem of the PB head assembly/mechanical section of the reverse solenoid (i.e. not seized/gummed up), more likely to be an associated electrical problem, i.e. part of the reversing circuit that is not operated the same as when in automatic mode.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 1:58 pm   #12
ms660
Dekatron

The auto reverse sensor poles are in parallel with the manual reverse switch.

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 2:03 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes agreed but for any future fault finding advice (before things are disturbed) it would be nice to know from Geoff, whether it presently works OK from the manual reverse buttons.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 3:30 pm   #14
nandesuka
Diode

Cheers guys but this is all sightly irrelevant at the moment. Thought I'd make sure that it would auto reverse the tape when it hit the leader strip. Unfortunately, the tape I had in did not have a long enough leader. When it hit the reverse strip on the tape it started to reverse, but the leader came undone and the shut off mechanism operated. No problem, just reset. Er no. The lever system seems to have jammed. Took off the front and have spent most of the afternoon prodding and levering but to no avail. So until I can get it reset no power so no check on the head movement. I've down loaded the service manual so thanks for the heads up on that. I'm thinking I might have to wait until this virus is finished and No. 1 son comes to visit (the one with the brains who takes after his mum).
Cheers,
Geoff
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 5:30 pm   #15
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Well that is unfortunate, hopefully your son can sort it.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 8:15 am   #16
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Sounds like the aforementioned cam trouble. Some have fabricated new cams, but note that these vary from version to version of the basic Akai deck.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 11:26 am   #17
nandesuka
Diode

Cheers for all the info. However the magic fairy came and hit me on the head with her wand last night. After all the prodding and gentle levering I thought, the shut off/stop slide switch is in the shut off position, I wonder? It doesn't say anything in the user manual, so I switched it to stop. YIPPEE clunk, click and we have power.
While the cover was off I put on a tape and checked the reverse. It also is working now. Pressing the manual buttons changes direction and also when it comes to the end of the tape. And the proper sound comes out.
I'm just waiting now for some head cleaner to come. The cassette deck is sounding a bit woolly.

Geoff.
Old 4th Apr 2020, 11:08 pm   #18
DMcMahon
Dekatron

That is good news.
Closed Thread