UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2020, 9:05 am   #1
ScottyH
Triode

Default Dubilier capacitors

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find replacement capacitors like these Dubilier capacitors pictured?
I'm assuming they are oil filled, but I can't find anything with this voltage rating.

I can only reform to 500V ish, no where near 3.5KV...

The other photo has a mix of capacitors, the Hunts is shot, as is the gold micropack electrolytic, but I'm curious about the small blue caps at the bottom and the plastic Hunts at the right.

Replace outright?

I'm guessing polyester replacements would suit here, if I can find the correct voltage rating.

Any advice appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	supply caps.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	216746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pc card.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	216747  
Old 1st Oct 2020, 9:14 am   #2
lesmw0sec
Octode

Default Re: Dubilier capacitors

My first question would be as to whether you really need 3.5 KV? What is the kit it is fitted to?
Old 1st Oct 2020, 9:30 am   #3
ScottyH
Triode

There are three of these on the output of two EY86 tubes providing HV for an oscilloscope. I’m assuming that these are original and not replacements. Unfortunately I don’t have a schematic.
Old 1st Oct 2020, 9:42 am   #4
lesmw0sec
Octode

Ah that makes sense - it looked like it might have been an audio amp where someone had fiited the cap as it was 'to hand'! I would have thought that in general, polyester would be fine for the rest, but can't suggest a source for the higher voltage ones. If they are oil filled though, it is quite possible that they are blameless if not measuring any leakage.
Old 1st Oct 2020, 9:51 am   #5
ScottyH
Triode

They don’t seem to be leaky, but as I can only test to 500v or so who knows?
Old 1st Oct 2020, 10:33 am   #6
joebog1
Banned

The BIG give away with high voltage EHT caps is that the trace will be "blurry" till the caps reform.
I have a wonderful old scope that works fine, BUT takes 20 minutes to have the focus control working.
I put up with it because everything else "works like I remember".
ALL else is probably crook too, BUT I soldier on.

VERY hard to find new exact examples, BUT there are some very good polyester hi voltage caps that will serve.
Joe
Old 1st Oct 2020, 8:01 pm   #7
ScottyH
Triode

Thank you, in that case i shall stick with them as they are.
At this stage the HV is missing, but once the other pesky caps get removed things can move forward.
(School holidays at the moment, so time spent on anything is biased toward the lads.)
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 5:03 am   #8
FrankB
Heptode

RF Parts,
https://www.rfparts.com/old_site/index.html
Is a good source.
I bought a quantity of HV 'lytics from them for replacement in early TV sets and 'scopes.

Honest and nice folks to deal with. They are one of the few companies left that carry stuff for the ham equipment.
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 8:56 am   #9
ScottyH
Triode

Perfect. I’ll have a look. Thank you.
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 9:53 am   #10
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

What an excellent shop. Why is this sort of great place inevitably in the US? Why are we incapable of this in the UK?

Craig
Old 3rd Oct 2020, 4:12 pm   #11
MrBungle
Dekatron

Also worth looking at http://hvstuff.com/ . I've ordered from them a few times. Takes a couple of weeks to turn up as it's shipped from China I think but the parts are usually top notch.
Old 4th Oct 2020, 4:39 am   #12
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
What an excellent shop. Why is this sort of great place inevitably in the US? Why are we incapable of this in the UK?

Craig
Possibly population size and demand. Despite being more concentrated in the UK we are far less willing (probably a good thing we're not as car-centric) to travel long distances for things. It always seems to crop up in online discussions that Americans go down the road and buy gallons of a particular chemical, or great quantities of hardware or specific components while we're stuck with Wilko or if you're lucky enough to have a hardware shop, those plastic packets of flimsy 'Home Hardware'.

RF Parts looks excellent. A bit Electrojumble (has anyone heard from Roy? The site's been down for a long while) and a bit Partridge Electronics. Just how I like it!

In NZ, Element 14 (Farnell in the UK) has some 3kV 0.15µF film capacitors...made by Cornell Dubilier!

However, as Joe says if they're working and not leaking, then they're probably fine. I'd replace them if there's a problem when you've put the rest of the power supply back together.
Old 4th Oct 2020, 7:28 am   #13
ScottyH
Triode

As I’m currently stuck on a beach in Waihi, I’ll have to wait to get home to look further. I found a post last night about building an HV cap reformer that plugs into one of the rectifier tube sockets, effectively using the sets own transformer to gently reform the capacitors. It looks like a great way to check the whole circuit out.
If they work out to be faulty the responses to my question have given me more than enough information to source replacement capacitors. Thank you.
Old 4th Oct 2020, 10:05 am   #14
trh01uk
Octode

I am unclear that the capacitors here can be "reformed". This process refers to rebuilding of the insulating layer in an electrolytic capacitor. Some of the capacitors here are unlikely to be electrolytics - the Hunts one in particular are more likely to be paper. For those polyester replacements should be fine, and easy to find.

I am unclear on the Dubilier one, at 0.15uF at 3.5kV. There's nothing I can see in the photo to indicate its an electrolytic, so reforming it won't arise. If it's leaky - and you can check that OK at 500V - then it will replacing.

Richard
Old 4th Oct 2020, 10:44 am   #15
ScottyH
Triode

Thank you Richard, you are correct.
There are electrolytic caps in there, and I’ll just replace them, as I will with all the paper ones.
The big 3.5KV caps will just have to be checked, not reformed as I said earlier. (Holiday brain engaged. )
Hopefully they will be OK.
Scott.

Last edited by ScottyH; 4th Oct 2020 at 10:45 am. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread