UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2007, 12:13 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Pye 838: TV and radiogram combi.

The Pye 838 is another pre-war entertainment centre comprising of a TV and a radiogram all combined in one cabinet.

The TV is similar to the model 815 and the radio receiver resembles the model 802. The original gram unit was I believe to be the Garrard RC1.

My set had been fitted possibly in the mid 50s with a BSR Monarch deck, that had to go and a Garrard RC60 unit installed instead.

The TV displays a very bright picture. The CRT is a Mullard/Philips MW22/1 which is a nine inch diameter tube. This tube employs a complex hexode gun assembly even though magnetic focus is used. As the tube is of continental origin, it has the side contact Ct8 base.

Certainly not as impressive as the Marconi Mastergram, but it is likely that the Pye 838 was a much less expensive set.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8381.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	9622   Click image for larger version

Name:	8382.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	9623   Click image for larger version

Name:	8383.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	9624  
Old 9th May 2007, 1:15 pm   #2
beery
Heptode

Default Re: Pye 838: TV and radiogram combi.

Hi David,
I remember seeing this in action at your shop.
It is almost a shame it is such a large 'all singing all dancing' set when the TV chassis is incredibly compact.

I've attatched an off screen shot that I took a few years back.

Cheers

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pyetvp.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	9625  
Closed Thread