UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2017, 1:58 pm   #1
barrywebb
Tetrode

Default Philips DCC 600 problems

Hi I have a Philips DCC 600 digital cassette player with a small problem. When I put in a cassette the display says NO CASSETTE. I have changed the capstan belt and the drawer belt but that has made no difference. Any help would be much appreciated.

Barry.
Old 30th Aug 2017, 4:10 pm   #2
kevinaston1
Hexode

Default Re: Philips DCC 600 problems

Service manual is available here - https://elektrotanya.com/philips_70d.../download.html

Try the service mode given on page 25 onwards to see if it throws any light on the problem.
Old 30th Aug 2017, 8:21 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

More than likely a sensor switch has failed or wants cleaning. There is a detect system that tells it whether you have inserted a DCC tape or an analogue compact cassette. You will need to check that these switches operate according to the tape being used.
Old 31st Aug 2017, 9:23 am   #4
camtechman
Nonode

Which tape are you using?
Old 31st Aug 2017, 10:50 am   #5
barrywebb
Tetrode

Hi at the moment I'm using standard compact cassettes I'm waiting for some DCC tapes to arrive in the post.

When I first got hold of it it did read the tape but when you pressed play it would start and run for one or two seconds then stop and after a short time it would not read the tape anymore.

The only thing I have now done to it is replace the drive belts. It's just saying no cassette it looks like it's loading OK.

Barry.
Old 31st Aug 2017, 2:04 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Like I said, a sensor switch or possibly the tacho sensor under the right-hand turntable that detects tape motion. The fact that it ran for one or two seconds could suggest this. It works by detecting the movement of the right-hand turntable. I think it's magnetic (hall-effect) so pulses are produced when the tape is in motion. When the turntable spool stops (at the end of the tape) the pulses also stop and the mechanism then turns the motor off (can't remember if it releases the play key as well). It will also do this in a fault condition for instance if the clutch doesn't take up the drive or if the capstan motor doesn't turn.
Old 31st Aug 2017, 2:43 pm   #7
barrywebb
Tetrode

Thanks for that info I found two rows of switches a row of 4 and a row of 2 cleaned them with contact cleaner but still no joy.

Looks like this one is out of my reach is there anyone on this forum who would be interested in having a go at it for me?

Barry.
Old 27th Sep 2017, 3:36 pm   #8
barrywebb
Tetrode

After after stripping down the tape deck i found the switch that tells it its got a tape had some how moved from its mounting and was causing the switch to jam in the no tape position i put it all back together and yes she powered into live but only plays side B and trys to play side A but only for a few seconds and the stops.
At the moment i have left it running on side B to see how it goes must say it sounds great.
Any more help would be appreciated and thanks for your replys so far.
Barry
Old 27th Sep 2017, 4:59 pm   #9
Clydeuk
Hexode

I don't know these units or whether you can see the spools when the player is operating, but if you can, check that the take up spool is turning (right hand one if it's side A). If there's no take up then it will shut off to avoid spilling tape into the mechanism.

Does fast forward/rewind work?
Old 27th Sep 2017, 6:12 pm   #10
pbengtech
Pentode

Hi Barry,
I worked for a Philips Dealer in the day, and although the cassettes look similar to an ordinary compact cassette, I do not remember them to be interchangeable with DCC ones.
I still have a demonstration DCC cassette and it has the album sleeve moulded into the top, and a sliding metal shutter underneath that covers the spindle holes till the cassette is in place.
Any further details were forgotten, and the training documents were dumped years ago. Though I did copy the music onto an ordinary cassette.
Never did own a DCC recorder....
I will be interested to see if anyone else has more information....
Regards,
Phil
Closed Thread