UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Apr 2019, 6:48 pm   #1
loadedtoad
Retired Dormant Member

Default Telequipment Serviscope Minor X Input

Hello everyone
New to posting on the forum and to vintage valve equipment generally.
I am looking at purchasing a Serviscope Minor with the intention of housing a curve tracer/component analyser inside. (A Mr Carlsons lab project).
There appears to be a couple of versions of this scope one with a X Input on the rear and one without.
The one i'm looking at hasn't got the external X input
I have a service manual but the circuit diagram also does not illustrate an External X input.
I have attached the circuit diagram.

The timebase can be switched off so is it simply a matter of sending a signal via a capacitor through the existing resistor R42 onto the Grid of Valve V5
The timebase switch also reduces the Anode voltage when turned off so i am assuming i will need this part of the switch left on.

Any help greatly appreciated
Attached Files
File Type: pdf telequipment_minor_service-scope_sm (1).pdf (759.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: pdf Serviscope Minor 2.pdf (126.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 26th Apr 2019, 7:13 pm   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Telequipment Serviscope Minor X Input

Probably it won't be too good trying to get V5 to behave as a linear amplifier as it is set up as a Miller-transitron oscillator by the look of it, even when it is disabled/off for that mode. You could simply lift the earthy leg of C8 and couple directly into one of the CRT's X deflection plates where the X position control is. You might need to increase C8's uF value depending on the frequency range you plan to inject there if it is low. I would perhaps replace C8 with a good quality high voltage poly cap. You might need to make an amplifier to get enough deflection for your task. If you do this don't forget a resistor to ground on C8's input side to set the input resistance and zero the voltage on that leg of C8 as there could be some small leakage in C8, with the original capacitor at least.
Old 27th Apr 2019, 11:17 am   #3
loadedtoad
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Telequipment Serviscope Minor X Input

Thanks very much for the reply.
I will purchase the scope and have a go almost certainly need a recap on the Electrolytics anyhow.
I did find a photo with the covers off of the model with the X Inputs.
Not a great shot but it does look like the X inputs One High and a One low do both go to the tube base ,the higher one with an additional resistor before the capacitor i'm guessing.
Would it be better to leave C8 as is and inject via another capacitor or would this filter out the 1 Khz signal from the component analyser.
The component analyser has an unused opamp in one of the chips so no problem if a bit more signal is required.

Found another photo again not great on detail but does show capacitor from X socket on the rear to base of the tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chassis1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	181928   Click image for larger version

Name:	telequipment_serviscope_minor3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	181957  
Closed Thread