UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2019, 9:50 pm   #1
daviddeakin
Hexode

Default Another UNILAB Educational Osciloscope

I turned on my Unilab 032.602 scope for the first time in about ten years and got.... no trace.
Helpfully I found this old thread where G4 Pete posted a schematic and noted that he fixed two with the same fault -a bad transistor holding the grid at -50V.
https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=839054
(Maybe the mods want to add this post to that old thread? Seems relevant.)

Upon looking inside I went straight to the grid and, lo and behold, it was stuck at -50V. Aha it's bound to be the same fault as Pete's two! So I replaced the same transistor Pete did with an MPSA42 that I had and... still no trace!

You know what it was, don't you? One of the SKE1/06 rectifiers was dead, so I had no -9V rail. I probably should have measured the rails first I suppose!

Anyway I replaced all of them with some 1N4007s (overkill I know) and it works now.

However, on one particular timebase setting I get ripple on the trace (unaffected by Y gain), does anyone else get the same thing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190425_213532441.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	181851  
Old 25th Apr 2019, 10:32 pm   #2
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Another UNILAB Educational Osciloscope

Do you still get the ripple with the case back in place and the input leads disconnected?

Alan
Old 26th Apr 2019, 8:53 am   #3
daviddeakin
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Do you still get the ripple with the case back in place and the input leads disconnected?
Yes. In fact I think it's there all the time, you just can't discern it at high or low scan rates. It looks like rectifier ripple so I guess it is simply the imperfect HT being derived from a simplistic voltage doubler.
Old 26th Apr 2019, 12:46 pm   #4
ajgriff
Nonode

Seems to be internally generated in any event. Might be worth checking out the ageing electrolytics in the power supply I guess.

Alan
Old 26th Apr 2019, 6:35 pm   #5
daviddeakin
Hexode

Hmm there seems to be 2Vpp of ripple on the HT. Not much
Closed Thread