UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Nov 2020, 1:44 pm   #1
pudwink
Pentode

Default 1970s indesit television 12LGB power cord

Hi all
I have a vintage indesit television 12lgb black and white portable on its way which has been sold as untested I have brought it more for its looks to go in my computer room but it would be nice to see if it works and if so maybe hook something up to it but my issue is the power lead is missing and its a non standard one as you can see from the picture.
I have got hold of a schematic which I have attached but not sure of the mains connections the battery connections look like pin 93 negative and pins 95 and 96 positive if I read it write but not sure on the mains one.
Any help would be gratefully received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	220416   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	220450  

Last edited by AC/HL; 16th Nov 2020 at 12:41 am. Reason: Copyright schematic cropped
Old 15th Nov 2020, 10:58 pm   #2
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Re: 1970s indesit television 12LGB power cord

Was this the one with the "pump" psu. A transformerless design? Excellent pictures, I'll find it for you.
Old 16th Nov 2020, 6:31 pm   #3
its ur aerial
Hexode

Not familiar with the exact model, but I would suspect originally it came with two sets of leads with identical plugs on the end, one for 12V and the other for mains, the original plug may have include some link or lug that operates a safety circuit to stop some one putting 230V up the 12V input, my advice would be hold on for the correct info.
Ken G6HZG VMARS RSGB Member

Last edited by its ur aerial; 16th Nov 2020 at 6:33 pm. Reason: Gramour .
Old 17th Nov 2020, 2:49 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Mine was also missing it's mains lead, I fitted a fixed mains lead to the set (remove connections from the pins for safety).
If I remember correctly, it was easy to work out which was the correct connections for the mains, or if you feel safer, just connect up to the 12v input.

These little sets do have a good picture, mine needed no parts, just dirty pots & picture adjustment.

Mark
Old 17th Nov 2020, 4:56 pm   #5
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Do mind the CRT base when you put the back on - I speak from experience...
Old 17th Nov 2020, 7:13 pm   #6
pudwink
Pentode

Hi all
mine has arrived today its not perfect there are alot of scratches in the middle of the screen and the knobs from the top have been broken off but I would still love to get it going if mark pirate has any more info and pics of the conversion you did for the power supply I would be very grateful and if anyone could remove one of there knobs from the top and take photos of it I could look in to the possibility of 3d printing replacements I have a printer but useless at design software.
Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201117_123126[1].jpg
Views:	162
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	220624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201117_180457[1].jpg
Views:	126
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	220625  
Old 20th Nov 2020, 6:18 pm   #7
hamid_1
Heptode

The power lead wiring was given in the service manual you posted, but I've attached it here for clarity.

For mains, connect neutral to 93, live to 99 and connect a link between 96 and 97.

For 12v DC, connect negative to 93, positive to 96 and connect a link between 96 and 95.

This TV is a transformerless design; the chassis is not isolated and should be treated as live when connected to mains. For safety, I would recommend testing it on a 12v DC supply first, since you'll be less likely to get a shock or seriously damage the TV if you get it wrong. (Use a power supply rated 2 amps or more. You might have one already, from an external disk drive, LCD monitor or digital TV box.)

Original power leads sometimes turn up for these TVs. I'm sure I saw one in a table-top sale at the Vintage Wireless Museum in Dulwich but that was last year or before. You can ask in the 'Wanted' section. It's worth a try.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	indesit_t12l_power.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	220837  
Old 20th Nov 2020, 6:56 pm   #8
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudwink View Post
Hi all
mine has arrived today its not perfect there are alot of scratches in the middle of the screen and the knobs from the top have been broken off but I would still love to get it going if mark pirate has any more info and pics of the conversion you did for the power supply I would be very grateful and if anyone could remove one of there knobs from the top and take photos of it I could look in to the possibility of 3d printing replacements I have a printer but useless at design software.
Many thanks
Wow, that Indesit TV takes me back.
I remember we used to give those away as a free gift with all new Rental TV contracts signed up .
Good little TV and i think we used to sell them at £49.99 too.
Old 20th Nov 2020, 7:51 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Do mind the CRT base when you put the back on - I speak from experience...
Me too.. I remember releasing the chassis on a 12LGB. When I eased it back the receiver became front heavy, fell forward and with the p/c crt base being pulled to the side when it ran out of lead length, managed to snap off the CRT pump stem. It was almost new at the time.
Just one of those rare happenings that was part of the job. Regards, John.
Old 20th Nov 2020, 9:23 pm   #10
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I've got one of these little sets here, and the original mains lead (somewhere!!) I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it, and confirm the pinout for mains operation.

Incidentally, mine doesn't work on mains anymore, not sure why! It does work perfectly on 12V though.

Is that a Toshiba underneath it? Looks similar to my parent's old TV, which is sat behind me right now

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 21st Nov 2020, 5:31 pm   #11
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I've dug the set out and taken some photo's and measurements of the knobs, also confirmed the pinout of the mains lead.

Interesting about the Toshiba, ours was from around 1987, bought as ex-display, ours is a plain black cabinet and doesn't have remote capability, just a bank of 12 preset switches, which failed in later life due to tarnished contacts, we would be sitting watching something and all of a sudden the picture would disappear into snow! a quick rattle of the offending switch would bring it back.

Regards,
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7873.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	220914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7874.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	220915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7875.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	220916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7876.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	220917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7871.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	220918  

Old 21st Nov 2020, 6:04 pm   #12
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The Toshiba is probably the first of the FST series from 1984. It could be a 214E4B. Remote version ended in R4B and the Text was T4B.
Looking at my old stock book I was surprised to see the number I sold. I never had a single service call from any of them other than screen cleans.

They gave a first class picture but customers never noticed the incredible amount of muck between the tinted glass plate and the CRT face. The glass plate was purely cosmetic but it did look good. It was removable for cleaning but who reads the instruction book?

The Indesit I remember had the rotary tuner on the side. Very reliable but not quite so 'nice' as many conventional portables.

The 'PUMP' power supply I think was the 12" GEC model 3133? Again OK but the following model had a conventional regulator and was a rare visitor to the service dept.
Seems like yesterday Time passes. John.
Old 22nd Nov 2020, 10:15 am   #13
pudwink
Pentode

Hi
Yes the tv underneath is a Toshiba FST Blackstripe don't know how old it is but lovely tv shame I don't have the remote for it.
It is the teletext version I brought it from a charity shop a number of years ago for £20 even got its original screw on stand.
Old 25th Nov 2020, 2:32 pm   #14
pudwink
Pentode

Hi all
I have wired a 12v power supply 2.5 amp and the set turns on but I am only getting half a picture at the moment sometimes it flickers full screen for a brief second is there something I need to adjust.
many thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20201125_131632[1].jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	221213  
Old 25th Nov 2020, 4:18 pm   #15
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Surprisingly 2.5A may not be enough and might account for your problem. I'd try a car battery before worrying too much. Then maybe time to try out the mains?
The earlier ones had the rotary tuner on the side and were basically the same, though very often bright orange - it was the Seventies! Arguably a rotary tuner was more appropriate for a portable that might be used in a caravan. Of course Decca had the best of both worlds on their 70 series sets.
The Indesit power supply worried us at first but we soon realised it was reliable and saved using the big heavy transformer used by everyone else. The GEC John mentions used a similar circuit but was less reliable and they reverted to the conventional design.
Old 26th Nov 2020, 4:17 pm   #16
pudwink
Pentode

Hi
Just tried it on mains supply and still the same only half a screen.
Many Thanks
Old 28th Nov 2020, 11:15 am   #17
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Well, that's good in a way as the mains power supply is working. Now you'll need to do some fault finding. Start with the obvious things - due to its age the presets could be falling apart or at least dirty. Then I suspect it's capacitor time. It won't do any harm to do a blanket job of electrolytic replacement in the frame stage. You say it jumps to the top of the screen at times which implies the output stage is working.
I don't have a circuit so perhaps post the relevant section and we can have a look?
Old 28th Nov 2020, 10:39 pm   #18
pudwink
Pentode

all schematics I have for the tv
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	schematic-page-001.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	221456   Click image for larger version

Name:	schematic(1)-page-001.jpg