UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2020, 11:13 pm   #1
Retrotechie
Pentode

Default EMI audio transformers

Hi, just wondering if anyone has any info on these transformers.

I have attached two photos of each type, and have two of the first type and five of the second type. These may have been used in EMI TR tape recorders or even a mixing desk.

Thanks,
Retrotechie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A322CE1D-0BC1-43BB-9E5F-9EFB1916585C.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	220644   Click image for larger version

Name:	0DA02788-51C9-485B-A7D6-60F9EC66DB80.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	220645   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7937E78-1C1F-4FBA-8C94-BE753444F2D5.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	220646   Click image for larger version

Name:	313FC7D9-F96E-4460-BCCA-3076A9560303.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	220647  
Old 21st Nov 2020, 5:21 pm   #2
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: EMI audio transformers

EMI made a plethora of items, to the extent that it can be very difficult indeed to find data on some items, unless you literally have a contact who has datasheets or connections with ex-employees.

Have you tried working out the turns ratios and general configurations? Simply knowing ratios could be quite revealing as to where a TF was used. Of course, you can get deeper and work out primary inductance and what kind of Z they're designed to work with, but you may get some indications by simply knowing the ratio and general primary / secondary topology.

You should be careful about letting these get into the wrong hands! Assuming they have fairly conventional audio specs, there are charlatans out there who may try and cobble them together with other obscure 'EMI' parts, and sell the creation as a 'rare EMI preamp / EQ' or similar. I have definitely seen more than a few 'EMI' items over the years with questionable provenance. If a part has been used in one of the mixing desks, it could be highly sought after.
Old 21st Nov 2020, 8:20 pm   #3
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Possibly audio coupling transformers, normally low power and used with balanced feeds to break hum loops; almost certainly using a high Ni content lam, so quite expensive to make.
Would probably work well with a lo Z mike.

Ed
Old 24th Nov 2020, 1:49 pm   #4
yestertech
Nonode

The first one is definitely from one of EMIs REDD units or mixing desks
A similar one can be glimpsed in this youtube video about 5'10 in :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrHtmCyZYA0

The 'RSA' designation would suggest 'Response Selection Amplifier' so used somewhere in the EQ/equaliser section of the desk.
Extremely high quality of course and likely to be of low or 1:1 ratio designed for balancing input or output at other than mic.level.

Andy

PS the guys at Chandler will probably know more : https://chandlerlimited.com/
Old 24th Nov 2020, 3:11 pm   #5
knobtwiddler
Octode

If it has the same code as one used on the Redd console it will potentially be extremely sought after. If Chandler make you an offer for it, you'll know why!

I stand by my comment about someone cobbling together a preamp or EQ out of EMI-branded components and trying to sell it on Ebay for a 4-figure sum. This really happens. There are plenty of rarities out there and few have the knowledge to prove provenance, which gives plenty of scope for hustlers.
Old 24th Nov 2020, 3:28 pm   #6
knobtwiddler
Octode

NB - It'd be lots of fun to connect the TFs to an audio analyser and watch the harmonic distortion change with level / load, as well as the frequency response. You could also see how well the shielding keeps 50Hz hum at bay. Modern TFs use expensive alloys for this purpose. I wonder what EMI were using?
Old 1st Dec 2020, 9:16 pm   #7
Retrotechie
Pentode

Many thanks for the responses. I do have a contact at Abbey road but don’t like to bug him too much.
Chandler sounds like a good bet.
I haven’t done any checks on the transformers. They belonged to my late father & have been stored for about 40years.
Closed Thread