UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2019, 11:18 am   #1
David Simpson
Octode

Default Pye Service Workshop Rack - Free

Folk may have seen my thread in the "Vintage Test Gear" sub-forum. As indicated, this would be ideal for someone setting out in vintage radio pursuits. All in one - so to speak.
It was given to me, I've changed a couple of valves & tweaked a couple of pre-sets, and its fine. Yep, its big & heavy, but easily transportable car boot-wise. So its Free. Collection or local delivery, or FCS if anyone knows someone coming up, Aberdeen or Elgin possibly. But Courier/ P & P etc. would be hellish expensive and too much fannying about.
I can hang on to it for while, but come winter - no takers - stripped for spares.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye Serv.WS Rack (a).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	187143  
Old 24th Jul 2019, 12:15 pm   #2
David Simpson
Octode

Default Re: Pye Service Workshop Rack - Free

Decided to (try) & weigh this lovely old beast - approx. 24 - 25Kg. I just hope I haven't knackered our bathroom scales.
From my experience(and as I've told another Forum guy) this isn't a cardboard box/bubble wrap courier jobbie. Back in the late 40's, Pye would've transported these in wooden crates, packed with rubberised horsehair. Back in the 60's, we used to do the same with large items of RAF Test Eq.
Incidentally, whilst the top, rear & one side panels were off - scrubbed them with CIF & hot water. Cleaned up a treat(see picture). All the separate chassis' & circuitry are well bolted to the front panel & the other side panel. Easily un screw/bolt - able, but time consuming, should someone plan a major cosmetic restoration.
There is a possibility that I might be in the Glendoick(Garden Centre) locality, between Dundee & Perth, in the Autumn, but nae further afield.

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye Serv.WS Rack(o).jpg
Views:	174
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	187258  
Old 24th Jul 2019, 1:13 pm   #3
Techman
Nonode

That's a nice old unit, David. I'd hang on to it if I were you - looks like you've got a nice big workshop.
Old 24th Jul 2019, 1:21 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

I'm intending a trip northwards sometime in the next couple of months. I have a sig gen and some other things for David.

I could get the beastie down to Fife/Edinburgh, if needed.

Rubberised horsehair? from rubberised horses? Bet they weren't much pleased!

David
Old 24th Jul 2019, 2:00 pm   #5
David Simpson
Octode

That's a kind offer from David, thanks. Techman - No I don't(as the other David will confirm), I have a wee workshop. The Pye is sat on a shelf in a passageway/woodstore outside the W/S. Only suitable in the dry summer months. My spare storage space is in a caravan(not damp), but that's nigh-on full - in our small field about 50yds away.

Regards, David
Old 27th Jul 2019, 5:08 am   #6
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I will be travelling to Aberdeen for work in a few weeks, and could get it back down to Hitchin if anyone in the south wants it?
Old 27th Jul 2019, 8:47 am   #7
Keithcan
Diode

Hi Sean,

You wouldn't be passing anywhere near Doncaster on your way back would you.

Keith.
Old 27th Jul 2019, 9:16 am   #8
radiomarktv
Pentode

Hi David, I would very much like this for the workshop even though itís a big lump. Do you have the service notes for it?
If Sean can kindly bring it back down south I can collect it from him.
Mark.
Old 27th Jul 2019, 7:17 pm   #9
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I am in direct contact with David, who will obviously decide where it ultimately goes, what ever happens I am happy to facilitate it's journey south.

Cheers
Sean
Old 28th Jul 2019, 10:56 am   #10
David Simpson
Octode

Being so far north of most of the vintage fraternity, movement of large vintage items has always been a problem. So I'm extremely grateful to Sean for his kind offer. Over the years other Forum stalwarts have been very kind in transport arrangements. So a repeat of thanks to Pamphonica, Mark James, Mark Ryding, Murphy v310, who have tested their vehicle's suspension at times.
Once a hat's been drawn & firm transport arrangements made, I'll put out a post. A3 copies of an original Operators Manual & the Circuit Diagram will accompany the Rack.

Regards, David
Old 14th Aug 2019, 8:23 pm   #11
David Simpson
Octode

Folks, hat drawn, & rack very kindly delivered by Sean to recipient.
Thread can now be closed please, Moderators.

Regards, David
Closed Thread