UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2022, 7:39 pm   #1
Phil__G
Octode

Default SC/MP programming book?

40+ years ago I had a book containing SC/MP code examples in both assembler and NIBL, all that remains here is just a few photocopied pages which include an SC/MP disassembler written in NIBL by Jim Derosa (and full of mistakes!) a complex word game in assembler, and a subroutines supervisor by Erik Skovgaard.
I dont remember the title or publisher but I wonder if this rings a bell with anyone? There was a book (booklet?) by Kemitron Electronics called "A Guide to SC/MP Programming" which I'd also like to find but I dont know if that is the same book I had all those years ago.
Nothing substantial has turned up in online searches, the best I've found is this:
https://archive.org/stream/Compute_M...r_Apr_djvu.txt which is a poor ocr scan of the disassembler (including the original errors!)
Surely one of these two (?) books has survived at the back of some dusty bookshelf somewhere ?
Many thanks
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by Phil__G; 5th Mar 2022 at 7:54 pm.
Old 7th Mar 2022, 11:16 am   #2
circuitryboy
Pentode

Default Re: SC/MP programming book?

I have this. Approx 30 pages. Would posting scans of those as zipped folders (max is 4MB) be best way to provide for all? PM me...
Attached Files
File Type: zip SCMP.zip (1.97 MB, 78 views)
Old 7th Mar 2022, 12:45 pm   #3
Phil__G
Octode

PM sent, thank you!
Old 7th Mar 2022, 6:42 pm   #4
Timbucus
Octode

I would love to see a copy of that as well -perhaps an upload to archive.org? If you have only JPG put them on a Google drive I could perhaps assemble a PDF we could share that way.

I have also gone back to the person I think has another Kemitron booklet on a Facebook group to see if he will make a scan available - I am sure it was him posted pics of the front and back but, I may be wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitbug1fromMarkPepperFBSC.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	253207Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitbug2fromMarkPepperFBSC.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	253208
Old 8th Mar 2022, 2:54 pm   #5
Phil__G
Octode

I'm very much looking forward to reading the Kemitron book, but I'm pretty sure it isnt the one I had. I've scanned the few photocopied pages I have in the hope that reading them might jog an old memory... its at the very bottom of the PICL page on http://philg.uk
Looking at the references, it may not have been a specific SC/MP book, theres a lot of other stuff in there...
Cheers
Phil
Old 9th Mar 2022, 2:28 am   #6
Slothie
Octode

The font and style of that book looks so familiar but I just can't put my finger on it.... It looks like one of those series of programming books by Sybex, TAB or Usbourne etc
Old 12th Mar 2022, 4:00 pm   #7
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

It isn't this one is it?

Alas to say I can't find it for download or sale anywhere!

Chris Williams
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	product-92391.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	253468  
Old 12th Mar 2022, 5:27 pm   #8
Timbucus
Octode

Is that just a later printing of the one on Curious Marc's page https://www.curiousmarc.com/computin...microprocessor as the cover is very much in the style of the Technical Description?
Old 13th Mar 2022, 3:57 pm   #9
circuitryboy
Pentode

PMs have been exchanged.
25ish years ago I was in British Library mining for SC/MP info and code, eg NIBL in Doctor Dobbs', etc.
And I acquired my own copy of a couple of the Mystery Pages. (But don't know wherefrom!)
The earliest issues of those mid 70's computing magazines were awash with enthusiasm and printed lots of listings, usually straight from a teletype.
The scans Phil has at http://philg.uk appear to be from an anthology/selection from one of those magazines, a hardback with 310+ pages, about 8x5 inches.

In addition, I scanned the Kemitron Electronics "A Guide to SC/MP Programming".
And Timbucus has taken those JPGs and produced a PDF version which can be admired
at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GtZ...ew?usp=sharing
Old 13th Mar 2022, 3:58 pm   #10
Phil__G
Octode

Hi Chris thanks but no, the "lost" book isnt just assembler and appears to cover other than SC/MP stuff too, maybe a compilation by one of the monthlies. The weird thing is that Circuitryboy also has a couple of photocopied pages from the very same 'lost' book, what are the chances!!! The Kemitron book is also very good, thanks to Circuitryboy, but these aren't the droids we're looking for
Old 14th Mar 2022, 11:16 am   #11
Phil__G
Octode

Circuitryboy has done more sleuthing and we're wondering if this might be it: does any one recognise this book, maybe confirm that it contains the few pages we have please?
One thing thats giving me doubts is that the SC/MP disassembler written in NIBL for example contains many mistakes, that I wouldnt expect that in a 'real' book that presumably has been through proof-reading
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9780830613328-uk.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	253567  

Last edited by Phil__G; 14th Mar 2022 at 11:25 am.
Old 14th Mar 2022, 2:01 pm   #12
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

There is a copy of a (presumed earlier) but similar work by the same author on archive.org although it's unclear to me how you 'borrow' it - looks like you have to sign up for a free account to 'borrow' the whole book.

https://archive.org/details/howtodes...ge/n3/mode/2up

Not quite the book in the previous post but maybe the style will tell you whether you are barking up the right tree. The actual 'Advanced' book in the previous post seems quite widely available for not unreasonable money.
Old 14th Mar 2022, 3:09 pm   #13
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
it's unclear to me how you 'borrow' it - looks like you have to sign up for a free account to 'borrow' the whole book.
I think archive.org got into trouble by allowing copyrighted books to be freely downloaded. They got around that by setting things up like a library. You can "borrow" the book and it is then flagged as being "on loan" to you. During that time no-one else can access it. You have to create an account but that's free and doesn't seem to have any strings attached.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 14th Mar 2022, 5:00 pm   #14
Phil__G
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
The actual 'Advanced' book in the previous post seems quite widely available for not unreasonable money.
Thanks G the archive.org one defo isnt it and I'm not sure the 'advanced' one is either -I saw a few listed but from £32 which is too much for me, especially as we're not sure, its not something I actually need, I just hoped someone might have a copy!
Old 14th Mar 2022, 6:08 pm   #15
Phil__G
Octode

The British Library have a copy of the 'advanced' book but I have to make an appointment in London or Boston Spa to become a reader, take ID to the appointment, all being well I get a pass, then I can ask for the book to be delivered to Wetherby where I can read it but not borrow it. What a faff
Old 14th Mar 2022, 7:03 pm   #16
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Hmm, strange, I thought I saw one or two a bit cheaper than that but maybe those ones have been snapped up by lurkers. I was considering buying a copy myself, as it's obviously squarely within our area of interest.
Old 14th Mar 2022, 8:15 pm   #17
Mark1960
Octode

The listings that I’ve seen for the advanced book say that its using the INS8070, so probably not what you are looking for.
Old 14th Mar 2022, 8:58 pm   #18
Timbucus
Octode

I have the original one which although it intersperses some coding methods is very much totally a hardware design guide for the SCAMPY computer so not the book you are looking for. It does briefly mention Tiny BASIC at the end saying it will take some work to adapt it for your computer... There is no real SC/MP listings at all in it.

Name:	IMG_3248.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	253595Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3249.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	253596
Old 14th Mar 2022, 8:59 pm   #19
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I see, I suppose that at that time it would have been silly not to take advantage of the INS8070 if your intent was to build a NIBL BASIC machine.

Does that mean that the earlier book is based around the INS8060 (SC/MP), then? That one is a little bit cheaper, and there are a few copies around.

Edit: Just caught Tim's summary of the earlier book - no, doesn't sound as interesting as I thought.
Old 14th Mar 2022, 10:39 pm   #20
Mark1960
Octode

I wasn’t sure if the references to INS8070 were generic references to include the INS8073 or if the book was using the INS8070 which does not include ROM.
Closed Thread