UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2008, 9:10 pm   #1
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Eddystone EB35 mk1. Repair advice.

Hi,

New member here. I've just received an Eddystone EB35 mk1 to restore. This is not my normal thing but a friend got it from a freecycle member for me rather than it go to landfill.

Now, I just want some general advice on restoring this model please. I've inspected it visually, and apart from corrosion in the battery box, it doesnt look in bad shape. It's not in any way mint, but not much that some servisol wont fix! the only major problem is L6 (the LW input coil) which is, well, gone! looks like it fell off and was removed sometime in the past. What I am pleased with is the tuning gang and dial, which is still nice and smooth, in fact its a long time since I felt such a nice tuning movement.

I'm going to change out the electrolytics as a matter of course, before applying power for the first time. What other items should I be wary of/concerned about?

A few further questions - can anyone date one of these from the serial no? its no. D00091.

I will get the set working before asking about cosmetic restoration.

Cheers,

Martin.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 22nd Oct 2008 at 10:37 pm. Reason: FSK problem fixed.
Old 14th May 2008, 10:14 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Eddystone EB35 mk1. Repair advice.

Hi Martin and welcome to the Forum.

You will probably find all you need to know about the EB35, including circuit information ad the availability of spare parts, at the Eddystone User Group website here... www.eddystoneusergroup.org.uk

I have a valved S870A. Eddystones are nice sets, and you're lucky to have acquired yours! Look at the Quick Reference Guide (QRG) for an idea of values.

Good luck!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 14th May 2008, 10:21 pm   #3
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Default Re: Eddystone EB35 mk1. Repair advice.

Hi Phil,

Yes I found that site yesterday, and downloaded the manuals. At that time I wasn't sure which version it was so got both the mk1 and mkIII copies.

It does look like it will be fairly simple to restore, I'm assured it worked before the batteries leaked (apart from LW obviously!), and oddly its smaller than we imagined!

I just hope I can remember when I work on it that its a +ve earth set!

Martin.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 22nd Oct 2008 at 10:38 pm. Reason: FSK problem fixed.
Closed Thread