UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2018, 8:42 am   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Desoldering using a compressor as a power source?

I recently posted on here seeking advice on the purchase of a compressor for general workshop use. I'm sure someone said that it could be used as a power source for a powerful de-soldering station. Does anyone have any links to or experience of actual desoldering equipment that fulfils such a need? I'm looking for something I can simply buy and hook it up to my compressor, not a DIY thing.
Old 5th Apr 2018, 8:55 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Desoldering using a compressor as a power source?

Aga made vacuum generators which were powered by compressed air. We used to use them on the production lines. EDSYN made clear plastic controllers/reservoirs and the desoldering heads. Just like a 'solderpult' but a lot more and continuous suck.

David
Old 5th Apr 2018, 9:02 am   #3
barrymagrec
Octode

Weller made a desoldering station powered by compressed air in the seventies, I have one in my loft. (not in use).
The desoldering iron, based round a TCP1, was the same as the later version with the built in pump, which was obviously much more convenient for most users.
Old 5th Apr 2018, 9:24 am   #4
Alistair D
Nonode

Pace also made one called the Ped-A-Vac. Like the Weller it used standard tools. The conversion from blow to suck was carried out in the oversized foot pedal assembly. There are a lot of Pace manuals online you might just be lucky and find one.

Al
Old 5th Apr 2018, 9:45 am   #5
GMB
Dekatron

I actually built one when I had a requirement for doing a huge lot of desoldering.

It is not hard to make a venturi to make vacuum from a flow of air. In my example it blew right through the copper bit so the vacuum was made right where is was needed, and the molten solder was then picked up by the air flow and blasted out into a receiver. It worked really well apart from never finding a metal that was not soluable in solder so ended up endlessly making tiny replacement inserts for the bit.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 6:28 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I looked at DIYing something similar using one of those cheap desolderers that are basically a heated tip and solder sucker. I even tried to mate a vacuum cleaner and said device but the result was too big and clunky.

It's easier to use a small motor powered vacuum pump than compressed air as used in commercial de-soldering station's. A compressor is noisy, and mine makes me jump six foot into the air everytime the motor kicks in, not something you want sitting in your workshop whilst your inside a DUT full of lethal voltages.

Andy.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 2:39 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got one of those water driven vacuum pumps in a box of bits and have been on the look out for a de-soldering iron to go with it for years. I already have an old fire extinguisher for the vacuum tank.
It is not so good if you are on a water meter though.
Old 7th Apr 2018, 3:15 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Nothing available then in terms of just going out and buying one or ordering one off tinternet. Oh hum, sounds a great idea, but not realised in practise. I'll stick to my spring loaded sucker and then solder wick to clean up with.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 1:11 pm   #9
Downwind27
Tetrode

I use a Metcal system which has a desoldering tool. It uses a small compressor - the sort used to power a small artists spray tool. It's an extremely good piece of kit but very expensive (mine came from a factory sell-off). The small compressor can be a limitation if lots of joints are to be unsoldered, soon runs out of puff.
Old 10th Apr 2018, 4:02 pm   #10
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I have a fridge compressor under my bench, awaiting experimentation with solder sucking.
Closed Thread