UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2017, 12:27 am   #1
crusher19860138
Hexode

Default Bush VHF81 dead FM

I have just finished recapping a Bush VHF81,it ran really well for a couple of hours when the FM died on me, just a crackling sound, MW and LW work fine, I have tried another UCC85 to no avail, voltages seem ok, could anyone offer some guidance on what may have gone wrong?
Old 20th Mar 2017, 1:40 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Bush VHF81 dead FM

I have had one of the ceramic trimmer caps in the FM tuner head go short on more than one occasion, can't remember which one, probably TC1 (Bush Manf sheet), puts triode "B" anode volts on the grid.
If you move the adjusting screw by a very small amount it may clear the short for a while, mark where it started out, you can't re-adjust without some very special gear.
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 12:23 am   #3
crusher19860138
Hexode

I turned TC1 clockwise by about 1/8th and the FM has come back to life,also I have found that it now tunes up to 102.5 which is where my local community station is located without loosing R2 at the other end of the dial.
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 6:56 pm   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Well done, its an odd fault this but its occured several times to me. Glad it worked for you.
Sam.
Closed Thread