UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2008, 3:36 pm   #1
radiozero
Hexode

Default Murphy 618 Cas

Anyone else got this Royal Navy oufit?
Old 13th Mar 2008, 4:43 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: Murphy 618 Cas

Erm I think they were mainly made by Rees Mace - commonly called a CAT....
Old 13th Mar 2008, 5:39 pm   #3
radiozero
Hexode

The entire oufit consists of 618 H & 618 L Tx's and CAS H.F/M.F. Rx along with the PSU. Made by Murphy but possibly Rees Mace as well I suppose.
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 7:44 pm   #4
Top Cap
Octode

There was a complete outfit at my local sea cadets but the last visit I made showed it not there..it having been junked! I could not believe it. It was a fair set really, I used it in the Far East onboard ship to listen to Radio Luxembourg,,,jeesh there goes my age cover up again. The Rx CAS was a bit famous in the RN for its backwards dial. You went anticlockwise on the dial to go HF when all other RN sets went clockwise. But then most domestic radio's had the HF end on the left hand side of the scale. But a nice receiver all the same for the modes it was designed to handle. The power pack was a two man lift really, massively over engineered for reliability with oil filled paper capacitors and a mix of valve and selenium rectifiers. The TX had a nice roller coaster which worked with a ceramic wafer switch and variable C's to give quite a good range of antenna matching. Even had a built in dummy load. The only ones I came across were made by Murphy with a sister outfit the 619 made by Pye, I think the receiver for that was the CAT.
Old 25th Mar 2008, 10:17 pm   #5
radiozero
Hexode

I was in the RN from 1975-79. I remembered it and by and by I managed to get the whole set. Don't have all the connector leads though. I've never switched it on. I remember getting one inch RF sparks from the MF Tx.
Old 25th Mar 2008, 11:49 pm   #6
Top Cap
Octode

Hi Radiozero, I wonder if you were at Collingwood when the civvy instructors demonstrating it used a graphite pencil to draw large sparks from the antenna terminal
Les
Old 4th Apr 2008, 9:35 pm   #7
WS19 OP
Retired Dormant Member

I have the receiver and the transmitter/PSU are on their way from the UK.
I love Navy radio sets!
Closed Thread