UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2018, 9:23 pm   #1
DPUGH72
Triode

Default Setting MK3 MK4 Avometers for transit.

How can you set the earlier Avometers switch positions for transit? On the mark 5 it says switch to DC and Off position so it is heavily damped for transit. So what can be done to help earlier AVO's for transit, as I carry my mk4 around in my car when I do some auto electrical work. I read somewhere that some earlier AVO's were damaged in transit.
Old 11th Apr 2018, 11:10 pm   #2
Colinaps
Pentode

Default Re: Setting MK3 MK4 Avometers for transit.

I'd set it to a mA range and short the terminals. Try it and see if the needle is damped when you rock the meter from side to side.
Cheers,

Colin.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 8:31 am   #3

Isn't it done by setting the switches to DC and AC?

Old 12th Apr 2018, 9:04 am   #4
barrymagrec
Octode

That was certainly the case for an 8 MkII, I always assumed other models are the same.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 9:39 am   #5
The Philpott
Dekatron

I only have the 8/III and 9/II (which are 1960's era.)

On these, one sets the meter to 'DC' and '50uA' then securely short the main + and - terminals. (I use a length of copper from a bit of Pirelli mains cable, bent in a suitable curve with hooks at either end; this gives you flexibility and can be reused indefinitely) The less sensitive the meter the less the damping effect of this method.

Merely setting the selectors to 'DC' and 'AC' on these earlier models does nothing for the safety of the meter in transit.

As regards the later model 8's, I believe the transit problem was addressed and there IS a setting which damps the movement (Probably AC and DC but don't take my word for it)

Dave
Old 12th Apr 2018, 11:54 am   #6
Sinewave
Octode

It's an interesting one which I've always wondered, as with the 8 Marks 5, 6 and 7, the left switch to off and the right to DC does heavily dampen the movement.

I'm going to have to experiment with some of the earlier ones now to see if this works with them.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 12:00 pm   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

I too carry one or more 'oldies' for automotive use, satisfactorily tested passive ABS sensors and crank sensors, but Lambda sensors are a no-no, a much more sensitive DMM with a good sampling/refresh rate is required, or ideally a 'scope.

The older and less sensitive avo's can't really be damped as far as i know, but having said that I have only hand one fail in transit, and that was a universal avominor. One of the hair springs had become detached, but I can't really draw any conclusion/s as it was a skip recovery item and had had a very hard time before I salvaged it.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 12:04 pm   #8
The Philpott
Dekatron

Ah yes, Mk5 onwards you set to OFF and DC, now I remember.

The earlier method I mentioned is likely to be the one to use with the mk4.

Dave
Old 14th Apr 2018, 8:54 am   #9
DPUGH72
Triode

Yes that works when on DC and 50 microamps. Needle nicely damped, Thanks all.

I made a short wire with a banana plug each end to go between both + and - terminals. Will work nicely for when I'm carrying the meter around.
Old 17th Apr 2018, 8:55 pm   #10
Sinewave
Octode

I've just tried this on one of my Avo 8 Mk1 units and am pleased to say that it works.