UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2005, 11:37 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Post Painting expanded metal speaker grilles

Has anyone found an effective way of re-spraying expanded metal speaker grilles? The grille on the set I'm restoring has had some of the gold/bronze coloured coating rubbed off. I expect this was originally anodised. Is there a way of re-painting the grille? The set can be seen in the attached image. Any advice on recommended methods and paints would be appreciated. Thanks,

Phil Harris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alba2.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	11976  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Sep 2007 at 12:43 pm. Reason: Removed troublesome link and extracted and attached image therefrom.
Old 30th Oct 2005, 11:47 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Painting expanded metal speaker grilles

Hi Phil,

I use this stuff: http://www.homecrafts.co.uk/html/pro...t2=15&cat3=304

You can get it in Homebase. It's very easy to brush on (minimal skill required ) and the "antique gold" shade looks just right to my eye.

I've used it on several DAC90As and a big Pye 18A (all about ths same period as yours) and it looked great: Very smart but not too "new".

Nick.
Old 31st Oct 2005, 9:56 am   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Phil,

I've attached a picture of my Bush PB53. The metal grille was originally painted so I stripped it and spayed it with a small can of "Plasti-kote Brass" and I was very happy with the result

I would firstly apply some paint stripper to determine wheter it is painted or not. If stripper doesn't touch it must be anodise, in which case give it a good rub with 0000 of 00000 wire wool before spraying.

Regards
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pb53.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1835  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Sep 2007 at 12:41 pm. Reason: Removed ref to troublesome link in post #1.
Old 31st Oct 2005, 7:07 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Dave
The metal grille was originally painted so I stripped it and spayed it with a small can of "Plasti-kote Brass" and I was very happy with the result
Well, Plasti-Kote seem to have cornered the market for 1950s radio grille respraying products
Old 31st Oct 2005, 10:44 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks to Radio Dave for the tips on spraying. Your set looks a beauty, but my grille is a little darker than yours - antique gold sounds about right - so I'll try Nick's tip and try brush painting first. As my set only cost me £3, it won't matter if I make a mess of it!

Phil

Old 31st Oct 2005, 10:52 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4SPZ
I'll try Nick's tip and try brush painting first. As my set only cost me £3, it won't matter if I make a mess of it!
I bet you won't

All I did was remove the grille from the set and clean it in hot, soapy water with nail- or tooth brush. After thorough drying, just brush the paint on. Wear gloves unless you don't mind being seen at work with gold fingernails. It's dry within 5 minutes. As always, a couple of thin coats always looks better than one thick one.

You're right, Dave's set has turned out beatuifully. I suppose it's down to what kind of effect you're after. Dave's Bush looks like it's just left the showroom, so a brighter shade of gold is spot-on. For my rather less pristine Pye, the "antique" finish looked just right too.

Nick.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Sep 2007 at 12:22 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons.
Old 14th Nov 2005, 9:30 am   #7
Andrew c
Tetrode

Hi All I prefer to spray speaker grills as the results are much better.I also prefer plasti-coat paint so far used it on a Bush TR130 and a Bush SRP31 record player and had good results but washing and rubbing is very important to get a good key for the paint and dents can be removed by gently tapping with a small light hammer.

Andy

Last edited by Andrew c; 14th Nov 2005 at 9:33 am.
Old 14th Nov 2005, 12:01 pm   #8
Aerodyne
Octode

Another advantage of spraying is that there is much less likelihood of clogging the openings in the mesh. Personally I would never brush paint anywhere that spraying could be carried out because of the (usually) superior brushmark-free finish, though I have to admit that the surface area of most expanded metal grilles is so small that marks probably wouldn't show in any case.

Tony
Old 14th Nov 2005, 7:48 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne
...I have to admit that the surface area of most expanded metal grilles is so small that marks probably wouldn't show in any case...
Exactly! The results are absolutely stunning on DAC90A grilles, even though I have little skill in cabinet restoration and also have high standards
Old 6th Feb 2006, 11:34 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Just seen that the little glass jars of Plasti-Kote "Odds 'n' Ends" Antique Gold paint I mentioned above are also available in Wilkinsons.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Sep 2007 at 12:23 pm. Reason: Retail price quote removed.
Old 5th Jun 2006, 9:15 pm   #11
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Wink Re: Painting expanded metal speaker grilles

Well, I've just got round to brush painting this expanded metal grille with the Plasti-Kote Antique Gold brushing paint recommended by Nick, and the results are fantastic When the set is reassembled I'll post a picture.

Phil

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Sep 2007 at 12:26 pm. Reason: Quote removed (refers to deleted post).
Old 5th Jun 2006, 9:59 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4SPZ
...the results are fantastic
Told you! Easy, quick, cheap and looks just right.

Look forward to seeing it.

Nick.
Old 6th Jun 2006, 8:32 pm   #13
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

On the subject of Plasti-Kote, has anyone used the chrome version ? if so, what does it dry like, a bit matt or nice and glossy like real chrome ?
Old 7th Jun 2006, 6:51 pm   #14
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk
On the subject of Plasti-Kote, has anyone used the chrome version ? if so, what does it dry like, a bit matt or nice and glossy like real chrome ?
I have found the chrome realy disapointing nothing like the top, it actuely says it dosent look like the top though on a little lable but even so i was expecting something better.

Jay
Old 8th Jun 2006, 12:23 pm   #15
steve1811uk
Retired Dormant Member

Ed, I tried that without success. I found that the laquer I used dissolved the shiny finish as soon as it hit it. That was after I let the chrome dry for over a week. I have seen that plastikote have a laquer that is made especially for the metal finish. That should work but I didn't try it as it cost about £7 and didn't think it worth it.

Steve
Old 8th Jun 2006, 1:58 pm   #16
jay_oldstuff
Octode

As i mentioned to darren i realy dont think this stuff is much good (as appose to the anteque gold which is excelient) to show how bad it is i have tacken a picture, i used an etch primer first followed by two coats of plastikote chrome and this was the result. i realy dont think a lacker woud do any good

Jay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	4099  
Old 8th Jun 2006, 5:24 pm   #17
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I nearly bought some chrome paint from 'Wilko' today, but mindful of Jay's earlier comments I held on to my money. Incidentally, my local branch of Wilkinsons Home & Garden stocks a full range of Plastikote paints in both aerosols and jars, at cheapish prices.

Old 8th Jun 2006, 10:46 pm   #18
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Looking at the pic Jay has provided, the finished item looks like a lump of lead. Hardly what I'd call 'chrome effect' as claimed on the can. I don't suppose you could apply three of four coats and then polish it up?

Incidentally, I have also played with gold and silver enamel paints such as Humbrol. Certain lacquers and varnishes will also remove them if you're not careful.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Sep 2007 at 12:30 pm. Reason: Excessive use of emoticons (Yes, even I do it!)
Old 10th Jun 2006, 1:31 pm   #19
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thumbs up Re: Painting expanded metal speaker grilles

Here is a picture of the restored Alba showing the quality of the repainted grille using Plastikote brushing Antique Gold. The other pic shows the set in its original sorry state after I rescued it from the 2005 NVCF for £3!

Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Alba awaiting restoration.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	4129   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alba after restoration.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	4130  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Sep 2007 at 12:27 pm. Reason: Quote removed (refers to deleted post).
Old 10th Jun 2006, 2:12 pm   #20
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nice work, Phil, it looks v. smart now

Hope they had a good hol.

Nick.
Closed Thread