UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2020, 11:15 am   #1
ChloeTeasmade
Diode

Default Goblin Teasmade 855 disable alarm

Hi there, I bought a Goblin Teasmade 855 some years ago on ebay. The sellers said that they had disabled the alarm but, not realising how violently loud the alarm is, I asked them to reconnect it.

Many years later I am using it and want to re disable the alarm. I have contacted the sellers to ask advice but they haven't replied. Can anyone help? I have attached a photo of the inner workings.

With many thanks in advance,

Chloe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8742.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	196396  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 2:21 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Goblin Teasmade 855 disable alarm

can't you just disconnect the buzzer where it fits on the clock mech?
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 4:02 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

The alarm buzzer is the device bottom centre with a coil of wire in a metal frame. There will be two wires connected to it. You need to disconnect one of them. If you are lucky there will be push-on connectors. Just remove one of them. Wrap the connector thoroughly with two layers of insulating tape, so it cannot come into contact with anything it should not.

Leave a note inside the Teasmade saying where it came from, in case you ever want to reconnect it up in future.
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 4:35 pm   #4
ChloeTeasmade
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
can't you just disconnect the buzzer where it fits on the clock mech?
Thanks ever so much for your help. I know literally nothing about engineering or clocks or buzzers or electrics so I would need more granular detail than this, almost like you're explaining to a child!
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 4:43 pm   #5
ChloeTeasmade
Diode

Thank you for your help! I have attached a photo of the bit I think you mean.... the wires don't seem to have connectors like the other wires do, so I would definitely be doing some yanking out which doesn't feel like a great idea....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	096a7a25-0da2-4ac7-b8bd-6806cb0e36f4.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	196433  
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 6:37 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Yes, that's the alarm buzzer. You do not disconnect the wires at that end, they are joined to the fine wire that makes up the buzzer coil, yanking them out would ruin it!.The wires seem to go into the base of the Teasmade, probably to the switch under the kettle platform, the normal idea is that when the kettle boils, the water syphons out into the teapot, the kettle becomes lighter, the switch operates, turning off the kettle element and turning on the buzzer.

Take the bottom cover off (I _think_ it's the screws in the feet) and see where those 2 thin brown wires go.
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 8:21 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

That is indeed the alarm buzzer, and those two thin brown wires going down into the base are the ones that power it. (The actual wire in the coil is even thinner, consisting of just a single fine strand of copper with a thin layer of enamel for insulation.)

If you remove the bottom panel (it'll be held in place by screws in the rubber feet, and maybe an extra one in the centre) you should be able to see where they come from. If there are no push-on connections, just soldered ones, or both the buzzer wires are crimped into the same push-on as something else, then you will have to snip one of the thin brown wires. Cut it about 2cm. from the connector, so there is a possibility of joining it back together in future, and insulate both cut ends with tape. It doesn't have to look pretty, as long as all the inner core is covered up and can't touch against anything it shouldn't.

By the way, I modified my own Teasmade with an extra cable sticking out from underneath a "figure 8" boombox / laptop style connector on the end, for connecting a radio so it is powered when the light is on. If you want to do something similar with yours, take a picture of the underside of the unit while it's open, post it here and I'll show you where to connect it to. (Mine is a slightly different version with only one bulb above the clock face.)
Old 3rd Jan 2020, 8:58 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

If it's just the volume of the alarm, a piece of cardboard or similar wedged in the gap may be enough to tame it without any electrical intervention.
Old 4th Jan 2020, 10:04 am   #9
ChloeTeasmade
Diode

Thanks everyone! I'll give all this a try today!
Old 4th Jan 2020, 12:39 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
If it's just the volume of the alarm, a piece of cardboard or similar wedged in the gap may be enough to tame it without any electrical intervention.
A bit of Blu-tak may do the job too.
Old 4th Jan 2020, 1:45 pm   #11
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The alarm on this Goblin is incredibly loud and frightening. It would wake up your next door neighbour and I'm not joking.
The sound of the kettle boiling and the transfer of the boiling water into the tea pot is usually enough to wake the dead!
Imagine being on Kings Cross station in 1938 awaiting your LNER steam locomotive to the North. It pulls into the station and you hear a familiar sound. Yes it's my Goblin!
Leave it disconnected! John.
Old 4th Jan 2020, 3:56 pm   #12

BTW you can use them for coffee, just plonk a bit of instant in the teapot.

Quote:
The sound of the kettle boiling and the transfer of the boiling water into the tea pot is usually enough to wake the dead!
At least it is a sound of welcome things to come.

Closed Thread