UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Dec 2019, 11:16 pm   #21
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Belling 322 'Art Deco' electric heater

I don't know about a mica tube, but we had one with the elements in what was, I believe, described as a silica tube - some sort of heat-proof glass-like substance.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 12:39 am   #22
Refugee
Dekatron

They are indeed silica tubes with the elements inside.
I have got a "posh" one like the one linked to in post #20.
It also has the plastic logs with a light under them and the flame effect still works too.
We acquired it with the house.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 1:42 pm   #23
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes Tanuki, we rarely ran ours with all three elements fired up! It was more Sci Fi than that one-just polished metal [no faux wood panels] and was wall mounted in the "front room" of our 'modern' [1958] newly built semi that it came with. The house had a ring main [explained to me by the electrician who brought his megger to locate a nail hammered through one of the cables]. Paraffin Lamps on the first night in residence The 3 bar fire had it's own cable to the fuse box, hard wired through a Storage Radiator type fused outlet! NO sockets were provided at all in what should have been our main living room OR the smallest bedroom. For a while we maintained the terraced house tradition of living in the back room with it's open fire, next to the kitchen [no concept of a Dining Room then]. Inevitably we wanted to be able to use the front part of the house in the end.

I was able to persuade my parents that I could tap into the fused supply for the fire [before the switch] and fitted a very neat socket along side. I did it very neatly because it would not have gone down so well otherwise! Based on this success and with advice from an electrical engineer my dad knew, I put 4 sockets into the un-wired bedroom. I removing the skirtings and there was space for wiring. Using an existing cavity [though the wall] into the back of a double socket in the main bedroom I was able to wire the sockets [in series] directly into the ring, without even having to use a junction box. It was a bit like invisible mending. I was 14 at the time and although 4 sockets seemed a lot for that small room, I somehow finished up with a bedroom/Radio Shack!

Dave W

Yes chaps I'm sure the tubes would be silica and not expensive mica. It was the first time that I ever came across a ring main, 13 amp plugs and hard wired electrical items ie the Fire and the Immersion. I remember the kudos gained by myself when the TV was in one room and the Record player in another. Happy Days!

Last edited by dave walsh; 29th Dec 2019 at 1:52 pm.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 2:38 pm   #24
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Trouser burners! J.
Old 29th Dec 2019, 5:30 pm   #25
Red to black
Nonode

Trouser burner! I like that true all the same though