UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2019, 4:59 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile What to do with some cracked valves ?

Good afternoon,
I have been going through a couple of boxes of odd valves that I bought from the Felixstowe radio rally last Sunday. There are a couple of B9a valves that have cracked across the pins meaning they are obviously useless.

I don't like throwing anything vintage away and so I very carefully disassembled them in the reverse order that they were originally assembled. I find dismantling them and reverse engineering them rather fascinating. Wonder how bored the ladies on the valve assembling lines at Mullard got after spending days threading cathodes, grids and anodes into jigs?

I now have a complete set of bits other than the glass envelope (that got destroyed!) that I can mount with fine enamelled copper wire (I unwound a little O/C synchronous motor) onto thick white paper and make a display which is similar to the displays that Mullard made with an EF80 and for almost free!!. I think somewhere like Hobbycraft would sell a deep glass fronted picture frame to mount the display in to keep the dust out!!

By the way if anyone has any deceased valves that have no vacuum ECT. you could always let me play with them !!

Christopher Capener
Old 16th Jun 2019, 5:17 pm   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: What to do with some cracked valves ?

Put the old cracked valves in a lamp and steam punk 'em.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 5:22 pm   #3

I do take old duff valves to work to show the youngsters (below 40!) how they work, not one has been disinterested. It would be worth buying some new ones just to dismantle for the educational value alone. All that precision engineering for a tenner or so (new valve prices).

Last edited by Guest; 16th Jun 2019 at 5:22 pm. Reason: making sense!

Old 16th Jun 2019, 6:29 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, I'm sure an appeal on the forum would yeild lots of different types for the postage.
One of my tasks in the near future is to sort some of my valves for defective ones, so I should have a variety of types from B4 upwards for disposal .

Ed
Old 16th Jun 2019, 6:38 pm   #5
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

There was a video I saw some years ago where some chap in eastern Europe was demonstrating that he could make valves in his kitchen. Perhaps your next step is to offer DIY valve repair!

For someone who only discovered valves at 18, they do have a peculiar magic. I have a few broken ones dotted around that I retain purely for decoration. The intricacy is fascinating, and certainly better to look at than a transistor!
Old 18th Jun 2019, 6:19 am   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

How many carrier bags of EF80's do you want Chris: )

Andy.
Old 18th Jun 2019, 8:19 am   #7
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Deep box frames in various colours and sizes are available from “ The a Range”, there is a store in Rugby.
It may be mail order or deliver to the store, still worth looking next time you are in town.
https://www.therange.co.uk/home-furn...eep-box-frame/

No connection apart from using them for art materials.