UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2018, 3:51 pm   #1
Testgear John
Tetrode

Default Hide Glue Veneer, give it a go!

Having made a mess of my iron-on veneer, (black paint contamination ) I decided, having been inspired by Col's and other excellent articles to give the hide glue veneer a go.
Collected together a slow cooker and large mayo jar for my gluepot, some pearl hide glue and American white oak , paper backed veneer.
Following a U tube tutorial I fashioned a very reasonable veneer hammer out of spruce, a broom handle off- cut and a piece of builder's multi drilled galvanised strip, which has a nice rounded edge and is heavily galvanised.
I mixed the glue too thinly the first time, but found it soon thickened up with some more pearls added, they seem to dissolve well even after a short soaking, evidently.
The unused glue, because I made far too much was sealed in the mayo jar, rapidly cooled and refrigerated, after 4 days it seems fine. Some photos below.
I have added one of the original state of the cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180221_125618.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	157919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180221_125553.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	157920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180219_142037.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	157921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180129_145046.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	157922  
Old 21st Feb 2018, 4:15 pm   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Hide Glue Veneer, give it a go!

Superb! Once you get the knack it is a fine way to stick a veneer.

FWIW I learnt the method by using a DVD from David Savage https://www.finefurnituremaker.com/p...mer-veneering/ .

Craig
Old 21st Feb 2018, 8:52 pm   #3
Testgear John
Tetrode

Default Re: Hide Glue Veneer, give it a go!

Thanks, Craig! there is certainly more flexibility, you can just peel the thing off and start again! I forgot to mention that I did "size" the freshly sanded wood.
Closed Thread