UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2019, 9:43 pm   #21
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Rusbridge's Auctions: 4 for 2019

Catalogue (first version) now available at web site.
http://www.steamradios.com
There are many lots coming "on the morning" which won't make the catalogue at all, and several which will make the catalogue but are currently still to be confirmed. Still time to enter lots and get them in the catalogue.
I am receiving photos of some lots. I will peg these together into a "notes and pictures" document on Wednesday, which will also be available from the above link when ready.
Van and trailer about 40% loaded. Found the bidding cards and the microphone. Washing grubby table-cloths at the moment!
Rob.
Old 9th Jan 2019, 8:35 am   #22
Kentode
Octode

Just a quick one, Rob.

What time do the doors open and auction commence?

BVWS member
Old 9th Jan 2019, 11:41 pm   #23
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Pictures and notes (where available) are now available on the web site.
http://www.steamradios.com
Just under where you download the catalogue.
Doors open for viewing and/or delivery of "on the morning" lots at 9:30 am. The auction will commence at 12:30 pm.
No entry fee to get in. Catalogues free from web site. Tea and coffee 50p and while stocks last, a free chocolate digestive with each cup.
Payment by cash or card welcome, sellers paid out within two weeks of the sale by cheque.
Last pre-sale edition of the catalogue on the web site by the end of Thursday. Many lots expected Sunday morning. I can only guess at the final number of lots.
See you there, everyone!
Old 10th Jan 2019, 12:01 pm   #24
Kentode
Octode

Thanks Rob, I'll be bringing three others with me on the understanding that if they outbid me it's a long walk back!

Really looking forward to it, good luck.

BVWS member
Old 10th Jan 2019, 12:16 pm   #25
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Late news.
If all goes according to plan, a decent collection of Bakelite and plastic radios will be arriving on Saturday for inclusion in Sunday's extravaganza. These will easily push us past 200 lots, before anyone arrives with any more late entries (and we do encourage late entries). Only seen the photos but we're not discussing a pile of old tat here. You may have to outbid the auctioneer (me!) on one set in particular.
Rob.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 5:06 pm   #26
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Look what we did this morning! Thanks to a select band of very able helpers, we are pretty much "where we should be" for tomorrow's auction. Oh, and by the way, those Bakelite and plastic radios did arrive, and they are not disappointing. Going into Sunday, we stand at 225 lots, so we can confidently expect to exceed 250 lots with the on-the-day entries. Doors open 9:30 am. Sale starts 12:30 pm. See you tomorrow! (Pasties and Windy Pies in the fridge)
I love it!
Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_154412.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	176312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_154432.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	176313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_154502.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	176314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190112_154516.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	176315  
Old 12th Jan 2019, 5:53 pm   #27
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Good luck with your back(s) lifting the AR88 off the floor!
Old 12th Jan 2019, 7:07 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

Spiffing display!

AR88 on the floor seems right in view of my experiences of folding table legs!

David
Old 12th Jan 2019, 8:45 pm   #29
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Looks like a good example of the 88 model though. I mentioned that my "mentor" as a teenager had an excellent example in his shack. I though he was getting on for 80 years himself but he "took the weight" in his stride just being grateful he could afford one I suppose There was a strikingly different attitude/acceptance re weight and size back then before commercial equipment for Amateur Radio arrived. Sorry I can't make your great looking event Rob. I'm being held captive in the south. Next time hopefully!
Some interesting sets like the white fronted Bakelite one with the horizontal scale bursting out of it's roof, can anyone ID it? and what's in the box next to the 88?.

Dave W
E Sussex

Last edited by dave walsh; 12th Jan 2019 at 8:55 pm.
Old 12th Jan 2019, 11:02 pm   #30
Radio Wrangler

Put a decent speaker on it and if the alignment is right, that AR88 could easily produce the best sound there.

Everyone ought to try one!

David
Old 13th Jan 2019, 12:19 am   #31
music-centre
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
Some interesting sets like the white fronted Bakelite one with the horizontal scale bursting out of it's roof, can anyone ID it? and what's in the box next to the 88?.
The White fronted one looks like an Ultra T491, I have got one to fix up somewhere!
Steve.
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ultra_t491t_49.html
Old 13th Jan 2019, 1:48 am   #32
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Oh yes that's definitely the one Steve. Thanks for posting!

Dave W
Old 13th Jan 2019, 7:01 pm   #33
Mark James
Hexode

Well ... those of you who said that you were coming and did not, missed something. I sold some things and picked up some bargains. A clean AR88 chassis with all the valves for £8 (I need the transformer), six 807 NOS valves for my Cossor oscilloscopes for £10 and a new accumulator for £6 among other items. And, spent an enjoyable day among like minded people. Looking forward to the next one in June.

Mark

Last edited by Mark James; 13th Jan 2019 at 7:03 pm. Reason: Omission
Old 13th Jan 2019, 7:13 pm   #34
Big Al...
Tetrode

Thanks Rob for coming up North and treating us to a super event, The Cornish pasty was certainly the real McCoy. There where many bargains to be had at the auction and I bagged my share. Pity for the sellers that there weren't more buyers present..I look forward to the next "UP NORTH" auction in June.
Old 13th Jan 2019, 7:51 pm   #35
Radio Wrangler

I'm intending coming South for the June one.

David
Old 14th Jan 2019, 12:43 pm   #36
Kentode
Octode

Many thanks Rob for making the effort to undertake a 600 mile round journey in order to sit in front of twenty Stoneyfaced, tightfisted northerners!

This job is never going to make you rich, but if I ever win the Lottery you'll be on the list!

Once again I picked up some great bargains, including that black and ivory Ultra T491.

To anyone who wasn't sure if this auction was worthwhile it broke my heart to see the rows of beautiful radios and boxes of components that Rob was left to take back to Cornwall.

Please support this guy, he's the best thing to happen for us up north.

For those who think this auction is fast and furious, it's not. For those who think it's expensive the Ultra cost me, including commission, just £22. Let me know when, if ever, you see another one in perfect condition come up for sale at that price!

Cheers Rob.

BVWS member
Old 14th Jan 2019, 1:50 pm   #37
Mark James
Hexode

I could not agree more with Ken. If, in the long term, we want an auction north of the London area then we need to support Rob and make this a viable proposition for him. He has put a lot of time (and money) into this for us. We need to submit the lots and attend the auctions.

Mark
Old 14th Jan 2019, 3:27 pm   #38
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

I was disappointed not to be able to attend, especially as it's less than a mile from where I live! However I had a cataract operation last Thursday and I'm struggling with two completely unbalanced eyes, which I guess I have to live with until my second eye is done.

Andy
Old 14th Jan 2019, 11:48 pm   #39
RobRusbridge
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the nice comments. Thanks for your support. Thanks for all your help. Thanks for turning a wet Sunday in January into a good day out. I was very happy with the event. Everything went like clockwork. My helpers, my sellers, and my buyers are all taking the whole thing seriously and "dead set" on this becoming a success.
Don't kid yourself that the organiser is anything more than a name under which to file the paperwork. If it's to be a success, it will only be a success because everyone wants it to be, and puts in the effort to make it a success. That is certainly happening, and although we were a rather "select" gathering on auction day, the atmosphere was good, everyone was putting their backs into it, and therefore it was fun.
It needs to be fun. Why drive miles and miles to a windswept hill in Lancashire to be drenched by diagonal rain if you're not going to have any fun while you're there? Certainly more buyers will be needed in future, but the fundamentals are right and in good working order. There's always room to improve but everyone is pulling hard in the same direction and more buyers will materialise when they're more certain that they're missing out by staying at home.
I remain confident that we will get this venture properly "off the ground" because a lot of people really want it to work. Anyway, I've already paid the rent for the hall for the June session, so either I'm confident or deluded.
The only thing that went properly awry was a fuse in the van which shuffled off to Buffalo on Sunday evening, leaving us with a trailer without a single light working when it was time to go. How we enjoyed poking around under the dash trying to find and replace Fuse 19 as the rain blew sideways through the open door of the cab. Well, we dried out in the first twenty miles and got home eventually.
Once I've done the accounts and sent out the cheques to the sellers, it'll be time to think about the delights of April in Radnage. There was a big-band number about that wasn't there? Oh no, that was April in Paris. (One more time...)
Radnage is nowhere near Wigan, the famous pie centre of the universe, so I suppose I won't need so many pasties for that gig. (You tell me!)
Rob.
Old 15th Jan 2019, 10:02 am   #40
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Some constructive criticism. I have three pals living locally who decided not to attend because the catalogue was only available at the last minute, and wasn't very informative - 'box of valves' isn't very helpful. They also commented that if I hadn't told them about it they wouldn't have been aware of it. Better advertising needed, please, including in the BVWS magazine.
Hopefully we'll be there at the next one!
Andy
Closed Thread