UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2020, 7:55 pm   #1
Bookman
Hexode

Default Unknown 10.5" - 1/4" NAB

I came across a box with nine of these NABs c/w tape. The tapes were covered in a deep dust and when checked they began to disintegrate. All of the NABs however are in good condition but they do not have a manufacturers name on them.
There was a mix of boxes but all of the reels were grey or shades of it thereof. Does anyone know who would have manufactured them?

TIA Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6211.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	211707  

Last edited by Bookman; 24th Jul 2020 at 7:57 pm. Reason: add photo
Old 24th Jul 2020, 9:41 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown 10.5" - 1/4" NAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I came across a box with nine of these NABs c/w tape. The tapes were covered in a deep dust and when checked they began to disintegrate. All of the NABs however are in good condition but they do not have a manufacturers name on them.
There was a mix of boxes but all of the reels were grey or shades of it thereof. Does anyone know who would have manufactured them?

TIA Joe
The reel is Scotch. As for the tape, 206 or 207 perhaps. If this gets damp for prolonged periods, the coating can strip. If the tape actually fell to pieces, maybe 111 acetate, but in any case the storage conditions must have been pretty dire. Or of course they could be salvaged tape spooled on a Scotch reel.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 8:40 am   #3
Bookman
Hexode

Thanks Ted, most appreciated.
Joe
Old 25th Jul 2020, 9:22 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
... The tapes were covered in a deep dust and when checked they began to disintegrate.
. How did the tape disintegrate? For example did the winds stick to one another as they were played off the supply reel?
Old 25th Jul 2020, 12:00 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Come to think of it, I had a reel of blue Racal tape where the backing had just gone to dust. Once it as cleaned off it played all right, though.
Old 26th Jul 2020, 1:25 pm   #6
Bookman
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
Quote:
... The tapes were covered in a deep dust and when checked they began to disintegrate.
. How did the tape disintegrate? For example did the winds stick to one another as they were played off the supply reel?
I do not have a suitable player on which I could test the tapes. My only option was to transfer the tape onto a smaller reel manually. To cut a long story short while I was transferring the tape the surface began peeling off in lengths of about 1/4" up to 10".
The responses provided would suggest that the use of disintegrate as the appropriate verb is correct but I should have been more explicit; apologies.
Closed Thread