UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jun 2023, 5:02 am   #1
Diegooo
Diode

Default Regentone Nine-11

Hi all,
Yesterday, I found a Regentone nine-11 in my grandparents garage. It had no plug, so I decided to chance it and put one on, and to my surprise, the radio works, but not the gramophone. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement stylus? The current one is green and rusted. Any help is appreciated!

William
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1508.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	279848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	279849  
Old 16th Jun 2023, 5:50 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Regentone Nine-11

Hello and welcome!

Plugging something of that age straight in just to try it is risky. In almost all valve circuits with an audio output there are one or two capacitors which are known to go leaky with age that are in a circuit position which runs the output stage valve to a high current. For some reason there is a lot of demand for audio output type valves from hfi fans and their prices are inflated as a result. Valves are electrically robust, so it is usually things like the output transformer and mains transformer which overheat to their eventual destruction.

These capacitors are so notorious that they get referred to hereabouts as "That Capacitor" sometimes with an added obscene adjective.

In the end of your record playing arm there is a cartridge (the lump which the stylus clips onto, and two styli. The cartridge can be rotated withthe little knob to bring either of thw two styli into play. One stylus is sized for old traditional 78rpm records, the other for more modern 'microgroove' 33 and 45 rpm records.

A worn or damaged stylus will damage records and you don't know the history of these, so starting with new ones is a good idea. but don't buy styli just yet. That cartridge isn't necessarily good. They use the piezo-electric properties of crystals... when certain crystals are stressed, they generate a voltage across themselves. The crystal types making the most voltage and needing the least amplification just happen to be water soluble and take in moisture from the atmosphere over the years, turning to sludge!

So, from where you are now, first do some searches on this forum for "That Capacitor" and read up on what needs doing to make sure you can run the thing without it going up in smoke. Then with it running, 'gram' selected on the waveband switch and the volume turned up about half way, brush your finger lightly across the stylus. If you hear nothing or very little, the cartridge is kaput and you need to find a replacement. Someone on the forum will recognise the type of your existing one from your photo. If you do get a loud but rough sound, the cartridge is a survivor and you just need to find styli for it.

A photo of the turntable unit would help with identifying which cartridges might fit.

Some other cartridges have lower output voltages and need more amplification, but their crystals aren's self-dissolving and may well be OK. Even if not OK, if it uses a medium or lower output type cartridge, there is better availability of replacements. Almost all the high output types have 'gone off' even if they haven't ever been used. It just takes exposure to air.

Your working radio has shown that the audio amplifier stages are working, so record playing comes down to that cartridge most likely.

David
Old 16th Jun 2023, 6:08 am   #3
Diegooo
Diode

Hi David,
Thanks so much for your help! I'll definitely look around this forum for the that capacitor. I selected gram and brushed my finger across the stylus, but unfortunately, there was no sound at all. Here's a photo of the turntable.

Thanks again for your help!

William
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1510.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	279851  

Last edited by Station X; 16th Jun 2023 at 8:53 am. Reason: Linked image converted to thumbnail.
Old 16th Jun 2023, 9:25 am   #4
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi Diegooo

Your radiogram dates from about 1958, see https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/regentone_nine_11.html

The record changer looks to have the label Monarch, which I believe was a brand used by British Sound Reproducers (BSR). This would have been bought in by Regentone.

The pickup cartridge could possibly be an ACOS, a brand used by Cosmocord Ltd of Enfield. See if there is any writing on it.

Replacement cartridges of the high output ceramic type can still be sourced, but you may need a little mechanical ingenuity to make them fit, as the fixing arrangements (usually two tiny screws) vary.
Old 16th Jun 2023, 11:49 am   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The autochanger is a BSR UA12 from mid-1958. Even if the cartridge was working, it cannot be used on modern microgroove records. It will definately need a new cartridge.
Old 16th Jun 2023, 11:59 am   #6
paulsherwin

All good advice. Don't be discouraged though - it can probably be restored to good working order without spending a fortune, and may become a treasured family heirloom passed down the generations! You can learn how to do the necessary work yourself (plenty of help here) or pay a professional to do it.
Old 17th Jun 2023, 9:18 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I have a high regard for Regentones (aka RGD) of this period. The Plessey chassis appeared in a range of formats, often with multiple speakers. Looking at the OP's photos again, that old BSR "Ful-Fi" cart does look really gross!