UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2021, 12:35 am   #1
JaySpark
Diode

Default Smiths Sectric Wall Clock De Luxe Movement

Hello

I’m new here and after finding your site, reading some posts and hearing your wealth of knowledge, I thought I’d hop in and see if you can help!

I have been tasked with looking into why a friends Smiths Sentric Wall clock is running slow. Some days it’s as much 20 mins others it’s 5 mins it varies.

Ive been searching around and believe the movement to be a De Luxe (but please correct me if I’m wrong) I have no knowledge of clock repairs electric or mechanical but, I am an electrician and also very interested in repairing all sorts of items, mainly to see how they work and also why they stopped! Just love the way things “use” to be made!!!

Ive attached a few photos below so hopefully someone may be able to answer if what I feel could be the problem
1, There appears to be quite a lot of thick grease (beige colour) on both of the worm gears. Is this too much grease?
2, Should this grease be cleaned and fresh grease applied? If so, any recommendations for a type of grease?
3, As it is apart, I was going to oil the pivot points. Am I right in thinking there is really two on this movement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65EEF64E-B27A-4D32-96F4-C3613AD85D77.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	227384   Click image for larger version

Name:	08CA898D-3384-4BFC-8468-2E4A59E2A097.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	227385   Click image for larger version

Name:	328173E5-B56E-4599-9896-0EF55FC49167.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	227386   Click image for larger version

Name:	93A7A202-5597-40F5-BD6C-E052B90236B3.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	227387  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 26th Feb 2021 at 10:25 am. Reason: Update title
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 1:03 am   #2
John_Dw
Tetrode

Default Re: Smiths Sentric Wall Clock De Luxe Movement

My money is on that due to old oil/dirt and varying temperature, where it is kept, it is actually intermittently stopping and re-starting itself, giving the impression that it is running slow........
Old 23rd Feb 2021, 2:18 pm   #3
JaySpark
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Dw View Post
My money is on that due to old oil/dirt and varying temperature, where it is kept, it is actually intermittently stopping and re-starting itself, giving the impression that it is running slow........
Many thanks for the prompt response. Are there any particular grease and oils I should be looking at to re-lubricate??
Old 24th Feb 2021, 12:48 pm   #4
JaySpark
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Dw View Post
It’s a very good point whether the clock is stopping and starting again or if is running slow. I suppose it’s a little difficult to find out for sure without watching the movement for a long period of time to see if it actually stops.
I ll go with the cleaning off the old grease and re-lubricating. Just need to work out what the recommendations are for the new grease and oil.

Any suggestions??
Old 26th Feb 2021, 10:23 am   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Hi (and welcome!)

BTW, it's Sectric, not Sentric.

It's almost certainly due to what John says - stopping and starting, as synchronous clocks only either run correctly or stop!

For a start, no oil or grease in the movement at all; it's really better to completely dismantle the movement, wash everything apart from the motor and oil with the correct lubricant, washing it assembled is a bit like having a bath with your clothes on

As I guess you're not completely au fait with clock repair then try just oiling pivots with car engine oil, removing the rotor and oiling the pivot with 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil.

Worth a check to see what fuse is in the plug - should be 3 amp.
Old 26th Feb 2021, 10:26 am   #6
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Smiths Sectric Wall Clock De Luxe Movement

Title updated to Sectric.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 27th Feb 2021, 9:52 am   #7
JaySpark
Diode

Hi Mike

Many thanks and also for the correction on Sectric!

I think I’ll strip it completely, wash all parts, apart from the motor as you suggest. Them reassemble with oiling the pivot points with a tiny drop of engine oil on each and some sewing machine on the rotor pivot as you say.

Can I ask, is sewing machine oil better than clock oil for the rotor on this type of clock?
Old 27th Feb 2021, 5:36 pm   #8
PaulR
Dekatron

Mike is our clock expert but I would suggest that you use sewing machine oil on the rotor. When you get it dismantled clean out the pivot holes using a cocktail stick dipped in IPA - or gin if you haven't any IPA to hand. IPA = isopropyl alcohol by the way not India Pale Ale !!

Keep changing the cocktail sticks until the tip comes out clean.
Old 28th Feb 2021, 9:45 am   #9
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySpark View Post
Hi Mike

You're welcome!
Quote:
I think I’ll strip it completely, wash all parts, apart from the motor as you suggest. Them reassemble with oiling the pivot points with a tiny drop of engine oil on each and some sewing machine on the rotor pivot as you say.

Can I ask, is sewing machine oil better than clock oil for the rotor on this type of clock?
Yes. Clock oil is made so it doesn't "run" - i.e. it needs to stay in the same place, whereas the rotor in a clock needs oil that can reach all parts of the bronze bearing and many of these are sintered - the bronze is made from a powder and acts a bit like a sponge.

Thanks, Paul, for the accolade!
Expert definition
Ex = has been.
Spurt = drip under pressure.
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 11:09 pm   #10
JaySpark
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Mike is our clock expert but I would suggest that you use sewing machine oil on the rotor. When you get it dismantled clean out the pivot holes using a cocktail stick dipped in IPA - or gin if you haven't any IPA to hand. IPA = isopropyl alcohol by the way not India Pale Ale !!

Keep changing the cocktail sticks until the tip comes out clean.
Many thanks for the cleaning tips!!
Old 3rd Mar 2021, 11:13 pm   #11
JaySpark
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySpark View Post
Hi Mike

You're welcome!
Quote:

Yes. Clock oil is made so it doesn't "run" - i.e. it needs to stay in the same place, whereas the rotor in a clock needs oil that can reach all parts of the bronze bearing and many of these are sintered - the bronze is made from a powder and acts a bit like a sponge.

Thanks, Paul, for the accolade!
Expert definition
Ex = has been.
Spurt = drip under pressure.
Thanks again for your valuable knowledge!

One last question before I get on and strip the movement down. Is there a way to establish the age of this movement? Maybe from the markings shown in the photos? It would be great to give the owner a little more info on the clock when I return it to them.
Closed Thread