UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Old 23rd Mar 2024, 6:37 pm   #181
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Leaking batteries. A reminder, a warning.

I always set up recurring appointments in Outlook to remind me to change batteries.

Dead easy, and stops me forgetting about the battery in some obscure bit of gear only to find it flat and leakage damaged when I need it in a hurry.

Let technology take the responsibility of reminders....
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 6:42 pm   #182
emeritus
Dekatron

i have a Panasonic Zinc-Carbon flat battery in the old torch we keep in the kitchen. It's dated 10-2010. Just checked it and it measures 4.5V open circuit and provides a nice bright light. As its cells are in a plastic case, I guess it should be pretty leak-resistant. I still have the plastic case of a Duracell 4.5V flat battery that I was going to fit a 3xAA battery holder to when the Panasonic expired, but as it's still going strong, the Duracell mod is on the 'round tuit' pile.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2024, 8:14 pm   #183
Chris55000
Nonode

Evening Symon!

. . . Regarding your N7118, now you've got the green verdigris off the copper print side of the PCB, it might be worth giving the copper–print side of the PCB a coat of circuit–board varnish afterwards to protect it!

. . .My policy with such equipment is to completely de–populate the PCB, wash it both sides in very hot soapy water and dry it in a hot–cupboard or on a radiator, scan it at high–resolution 300 D.P.I. black–and white, (both sides), reassemble the board with new resistors, electrolytics, small transistors, diodes, etc., (this was always recommended in "Television's" articles for major breakdowns of Sony TVs), replace old low–profile sockets with turned–pin ones, fit terminal–pins to protect the print from damage by external wiring breaking off (where possible), lacquer the copper side with circuit varnish, and finally (unless an equally good scan or original paper manual is available!) prepare a complete new Circuit Diagram on my sPlan 8, so it's preserved as far as possible against future damage by battery leakage, etc!

. . .Well done on resurrecting yours – I think it can go down in the "Success Stories" thread if you've tested it and it's all working OK!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 23rd Mar 2024 at 8:30 pm.
Chris55000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2024, 9:20 am   #184
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I've noted that LED headlamps using AAA cells pull excessive current, rechargeable Li-Ion ones are preferable…
Hi Dave. I agree. I’ve tried standard rechargeable NiMH AAA cells in head torches but have been disappointed by their relatively short life. Do you have any recommendations for rechargeable Li-Ion drop-in replacements?

I am tending to use rechargeable cells more and more, especially in valuable equipment, as they’re less likely to leak.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Phil G4SPZ is offline   Reply With Quote