UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2019, 9:58 pm   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default DC Power Connectors - a warning

A friend's workshop radio would no longer work from the power adaptor supplied, which is a phone-charger style 5V unit with micro USB cable connector. I surmised that the USB socket would have flexed on its sub-assembly board until the soldered connections broke loose, and I volunteered to guide him in resoldering it back. Inspection under an eyeglass showed this to be the case and we carefully reflowed it, a considerable challenge on these connectors. Still no sign of life and careful probing showed that the USB socket itself had fractured internally - that's what you get with repeated and energetic flexing.

I then offered to fit a new standard DC power socket (male) and fit the mating plug (f) on the cable. Worked perfectly of course, until I plugged the lead in a second time. Frustrating
Inspection of the new socket found that inserting the plug had pushed the connector apart, as shown. I centre-punched the contact strip (serves it right) and added a blob of Araldidte, and success at last.

Now the point is that these connectors, 5.5mm outer and 2.1mm inner, are found everywhere, sometimes with an appealing rubber seal to keep crud out when unplugged. They're made like this and failure is inevitable. They are the smallest of the screw-in types, but if you can use a slightly larger diameter connector, look for the Cliff Components types. They also feature a break switch for disconnecting the battery if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheap DC Conn.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	179655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheap DC Conn dismantled.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	179656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheap DC Conns.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	179657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cliff [1].jpg
Views:	157
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	179658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cliff [2].jpg
Views:	144
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	179659  

It's good here
Old 10th Mar 2019, 1:35 am   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: DC Power Connectors - a warning

I’ve had a couple of the ones like your second from right picture. Both of them fell to bits within a week.

By this time I was thoroughly fed up. Everything has Anderson powerpoles on it now!
Closed Thread