UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Mar 2019, 7:52 pm   #1
GW4FRX
Pentode

Default Cermet (?) pot replacement?

One of the pots on the board in the pic has an intermittent and very noisy track which won't respond to any amount of propanol, Servisol or anything else. I remember being able to buy these from the likes of RS many years ago but haven't seen any for a long time, and trawling the internet this afternoon has got me precisely nowhere.

Anyone suggest where I can find a 100K lin in this style? The overall diameter is about 15mm and the depth about 6mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RH component side.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	179471  
Old 5th Mar 2019, 8:19 pm   #2
VT FUSE
Hexode

Default Re: Cermet (?) pot replacement?

I have had problems with that style in the past and after removal changed them for open style Egen carbon track type. If you want enclosed track types then Piher types are a good replacement,I do not think the style you show is Cermet? from memory, once removed from board, the cause of the poor contact is often caused by tarnish on the wiper and its associated slip ring like arrangement,this can be cleaned with fine metal polish and the track with IPA etc,I think the pot is held together using a tiny C clip or suchlike.
Old 5th Mar 2019, 8:59 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

Haven't seen any for a long time, the pins on those are close enough to accept a modern replacement, usually quite thick pins. I've had a few over the years where, when you unsolder them, the base part which forms the track falls into 2 pieces. Are they 300mW?
Old 5th Mar 2019, 9:29 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

Ugh those things are cancerous. My telequipment stuff was full of them. Usually replace them with cheap enclosed ones https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?...roducts_id=713

If you need more power bourns 3386P are good but expensive.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 7:21 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Don't think they're Cermet, just bog standard carbon. I have some used ones in my spares draw out of as Mr B says a Tele scope. Could see if there's a 100k one if any use.

Andy.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 3:43 pm   #6
GW4FRX
Pentode

Many thanks for the replies, all very useful and illuminating. It's difficult to know whether to keep the pots in service for the sake of originality knowing that they're likely to be unreliable or change them for something modern which won't quite look the part. Such seems to be the conflict between conservation and restoration.

In the meantime I'll happily reimburse postage or make a suitable contribution to a charity of choice if anyone happens to have a 100K lin languishing in the junk box looking for a good home.

And no, this sort doesn't seem to be held together by a circlip or whatnot and it's rather difficult to see how it was assembled in the first place. Beastly thing!
Old 6th Mar 2019, 4:07 pm   #7
MrBungle
Dekatron

Did some digging in the junk box, err cupboard, and found one solitary one left on a spare TQ board I have lying around which was not 100k and sacrified it for the cause. Here's how it is constructed:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3A6AF3C6-325B-4D8B-9384-2BE906BFBA6B.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	179494
Old 6th Mar 2019, 9:50 pm   #8
m0cemdave
Octode

That looks like a moulded track type, probably made by Plessey. I think I have a datasheet somewhere, will have a rummage.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 10:35 pm   #9
m0cemdave
Octode

From an early 1970's Farnell catalogue:

www.spamabyss.net/radio/MPpots.jpg

Note that these could be moulded track carbon, wirewound, or cermet.

Also various different pinouts - in addition to those on the page, I have seen some with a large threaded centre pin.
Old 6th Mar 2019, 10:43 pm   #10
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
From an early 1970's Farnell catalogue:www.spamabyss.net/radio/MPpots.jpg Note that these could be moulded track carbon, wirewound, or cermet. Also various different pinouts - in addition to those on the page, I have seen some with a large threaded centre pin.
That's a very useful find -- many thanks. They look exactly like the thing on the Radford board although I'm not quite sure what flavour of pot is is since there are no markings on it anywhere.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 4:37 am   #11
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I recognize these large format presets, or very very similar, with the same pinouts/geometry, they are still available from RS components, go there and search 186-205 a 47k version or 186-211 the 100k version (that one is on back order it says), but they are still current parts. They range from 100R to 1MR. They were Tyco 16mm PC910 Series.They are 1W rated.

Have a look at page 2 of this article where I used one in an automotive voltage regulator:

http://www.worldphaco.com/uploads/HI...CS_ARCHIVE.pdf
Old 7th Mar 2019, 6:38 am   #12
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Had a quick look, no 100k so far, but do have a small bag of 10T 100k LIN with a footprint which is near, EG the two back legs line up but the wiper leg would need bodging. These are also of less wattage, I'd say 1/4w. Will send you one if you drop us your address.

As to reliability of the originals, the ones I have appear to be fine. I used a few on projects like PSU's with no issue's.

Andy.
Old 7th Mar 2019, 9:51 am   #13
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
I recognize these large format presets, or very very similar, with the same pinouts/geometry, they are still available from RS components, go there and search 186-205 a 47k version or 186-211 the 100k version (that one is on back order it says), but they are still current parts. They range from 100R to 1MR. They were Tyco 16mm PC910 Series.They are 1W rated.
Well, bless my soul. Very many thanks for that -- I combed RS and Farnell the other day but didn't think to search on 'trimmer resistors'. One of those looks as though it'll fill the bill nicely.

Case solved!
Old 7th Mar 2019, 9:54 am   #14
GW4FRX
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
Had a quick look, no 100k so far, but do have a small bag of 10T 100k LIN with a footprint which is near, EG the two back legs line up but the wiper leg would need bodging. These are also of less wattage, I'd say 1/4w. Will send you one if you drop us your address.
Andy -- that's greatly appreciated but it seems from the above that a modern more-or-less equivalent is available from RS so I'll go with that. But thank you very much indeed for the offer.
Closed Thread