UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2018, 12:24 pm   #1
poppydog
Banned

Default Unmarked transistor identification.

I have a metal cased npn transistor that has no marking on it, how can I tell if its ge or silicon?
regards poppydog
Old 8th May 2018, 12:55 pm   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: transistor identification

Typical digital meter with a diode/beep setting will give about 0.35V on the base emitter connection for germanium and about 0.65v for silicon

Or, if you just have a volt meter, set up a battery, say 9V with a series resistor say 10k to forward bias the base-emitter junction and measure its voltage drop, will be around 0.3v for germanium and 0.65v for silicon.

Probability dictates its a silicon, as NPN germaniums are not wonderfully common, but it still could be one.
Old 8th May 2018, 1:02 pm   #3
poppydog
Banned

Default Re: transistor identification

Thanks for that Argus25
regards poppydog
Old 9th May 2018, 9:37 am   #4
poppydog
Banned

Default Re: Unmarked transistor identification.

What happens if the transistor is knackered, how do you identify it then?

regards poppydog
Old 9th May 2018, 9:44 am   #5
Mooly
Octode

You can only do basic tests such as for leakage, forward gain and so on.

Without knowing what it is, its impossible to go further. For example some small signal RF types have very limited voltage and current ratings, perhaps as low as 12 volt and 50ma.

As its unmarked, how did you determine it to be NPN ? (just curious )
Old 9th May 2018, 10:09 am   #6
poppydog
Banned

I asked what would happen out of curiosity, the transistor in question was very low gain as indicated on a transistor tester

regards poppydog
Old 9th May 2018, 10:40 am   #7
kellys_eye
Octode

The cheap multi-device testers from your 'local' Chinese supplier will give you all the basic parameters of such devices. Pinout, polarity, gain, Vbe etc.

They are, imho, the most useful pieces of test equipment anyone can have these days - they come into their own (for my purposes) when trying to identify the pinout of the TO92 devices which are often confusing despite datasheet information!

For around a tenner you can't go wrong.
Old 9th May 2018, 12:51 pm   #8
Mooly
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I asked what would happen out of curiosity, the transistor in question was very low gain as indicated on a transistor tester
Thanks, I just wondered that's all.

Using a DVM (or analogue meter... an AVO8 is great for general transistor checking) takes only a few seconds to identify NPN or PNP, and the analogue meter on a high ohms range can be a good guide for testing for leakage.

True low gain (with no other problems such as being leaky) is not all that common a failure mode in my experience.
Closed Thread