UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2018, 8:25 am   #1
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Parts donor - receiver?

I want to experiment with some simple radio reception circuits (superhet) using discrete components and 'proper' tuned circuits. I'm referring to the miniature IFTs with the red/white/yellow tuned cores.

Since IFT's aren't that easy to come by I was hoping to use an old transistor radio as a 'parter' - there have to be dozens that could fit the bill and not grate on ones conscience for dismantling in such a way.

Can anyone recommend a make/model of set that would provide me with such parts and that wouldn't cause cardiac arrest in the community for the horror I'm about to comit

Ideally the make/model would be common such that if I wanted to duplicate any construction then I'd be able to (re)access additional parts in the same way.
Old 30th Apr 2018, 9:03 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Parts donor - receiver?

You could also get IFTs from the radio section of a dumped music centre or radiogram, which widens your range of availability.

If you go for a Japanese built set rather than a Hong Kong or Chinese one, you may be able to find data on the IFTs in an archived Toko catalogue.

If you fancy being really experimental, you could look for a 12kHz wide crystal filter on 1.4MHz and build an up-converter. Long and medium waves in one band with no gap. I've found these filters on amateur radio rally stalls in the past.

David
Old 30th Apr 2018, 9:17 am   #3
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

The common and cheap Chinese radio kits (HX108, S66E etc.) contain those IFTs and would save the trouble of de-soldering. (IFTs are not the easiest things to remove.)

Last edited by G8UWM-MildMartin; 30th Apr 2018 at 9:19 am. Reason: remove confusion
Old 30th Apr 2018, 9:38 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

Hold can, pull gently, play small blowtorch on reverse side of PCB.

It all depends on what you want to keep.

david
Old 30th Apr 2018, 10:04 am   #5
radioman
Heptode

I'd recommend looking out for an old/rough-looking Fidelity set from the late 60's/early 70's. These contain Toko 10mm IFT's and that's where I got some to use in my Theremin...
Some of the Chinese radio kits use 7mm types if that is important to you.

Andy
Old 30th Apr 2018, 2:13 pm   #6
Station X

You're welcome to this "chassis" for the cost of the postage, approximately £3. It's about 15" long.

Sorry about the poor pictures, but it's to wet to photograph it outside today.

PM me if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	162028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	162029  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Apr 2018, 6:54 pm   #7
kellys_eye
Octode

Access to 'dumped' equipment isn't a real possibility for me given my remote location so any parts I try for will inevitably be from an auction site or snapped up if offered via the forum (thanks Graham).

Fidelity? Not a name I've come across but one I'll be searching for, thanks for the tip.
Closed Thread