UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2018, 11:52 pm   #21
winston_1
Hexode

Default Re: LED lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
I'd still like to change a 4X MR16 spotlight fitting from 20W halogens, to LEDs - I did try a few MR16 LEDs a few years back, but none lasted longer than a few months, so I reverted to halogen, and got 20X Philips 20W MR16, at a very good clearance price.

Question - is it now worth trying again, with some of the newer LEDs ? I keep reading that the MR16 sizes esp. are more problematic in older fittings, but wondered if the spotlight I'm considering is now so old, that it's good again ?!...... the spotlight fitting is an older twin cable type, operating on 12V AC from a conventional toroidal transformer. No dimming fitted or needed.
MR16 means multifaceted reflector 16/8 inch diameter. Most spotlights are MR16. MR16 can be 12v, 24v, 120v or 240v and the base can be GU10, GU5.3, or small ES among others.
Old 26th Apr 2018, 9:54 am   #22
Goldie99
Heptode

Default Re: LED lighting

Quote:
MR16 means multifaceted reflector 16/8 inch diameter. Most spotlights are MR16. MR16 can be 12v, 24v, 120v or 240v and the base can be GU10, GU5.3, or small ES among others.
I'd never even thought that the 'MR16' might stand for something - now I know, thanks.

In my case, I have a nice new set of Osram 12V MR16 GU5.3 2.9W/827 36D on the way, so I'll see how they go... with a 15,000 hrs lifetime, and warrantied for 4 years, hopefully they'll see me through to 2022... although they should pay for themselves in just over a year.

Alan
Closed Thread