UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Oct 2004, 9:55 am   #1
GMB
Dekatron

Default Valve functional equivalents

Valve equivalent lists nomally list valves that are pin and functionally compatible. But I recently heard that some modern valves may actually be more or less the same as older versions.

Does anyone know of any lists of equivalents that are NOT pin compatible but are compatible at the characteristic level. Or perhps of near equivalents, e.g. where the heater is different (of course you can often guess these - but it seems not always correctly).
Old 11th Oct 2004, 11:29 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Valve functional equivalents

Go to http://hereford.ampr.org/cgi-bin/tube

Look up a valve and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the " Same Chars " box. A whole load of electrically equivalent valves will be listed.

I have never tried this in anger, so I don't know how good it is.

Graham

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 11th Oct 2004, 11:58 am   #3
GMB
Dekatron

Quote:
Look up a valve and then scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the " Same Chars " box. A whole load of electrically equivalent valves will be listed.
Thanks for that link - but I don't think this site is actually doing that. It looks to me like it is simply listing other valves that are broadly the same generic type (e.g. other pentodes).
Old 11th Oct 2004, 12:28 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents the 50's and 60's Wireless World valve data book does this for you very well as the details are listed in tabular form by heater volts and is easy to scan. There must be many copys of this A4 size booklet about unless someone has scanned it to CD.
Ed
Old 11th Oct 2004, 6:33 pm   #5
Norm_Leal
Retired Dormant Member

Hi

Here is something that just came up on another forum which might be useful.

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/Foru...ML/003921.html

Norm
Old 11th Oct 2004, 7:29 pm   #6
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

The Mullard maintainance manual gives lots of alternatives with base / component changes, though you have to work backwards to get it!

Jim.
Old 6th Mar 2005, 11:39 am   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning
Hi Gents the 50's and 60's Wireless World valve data book does this for you very well as the details are listed in tabular form by heater volts and is easy to scan. There must be many copys of this A4 size booklet about unless someone has scanned it to CD.
Ed
It is on my Valve Data CD-ROM - see http://www.service-data.com/cd-roms/...data/index.htm

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread