UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2015, 7:07 pm   #1
SurreyNick
Heptode

Default 0.75A variac suitable for vintage radios?

With the price of enclosed variacs being so expensive I am considering assembling one myself and I have found a design which includes a useful built-in voltmeter and all-in should cost just £60-70 to assemble. The spec uses a 0.75A open-type variac and I was wondering if this is suitable for use with vintage valve radios?
Thanks
Nick
Old 17th May 2015, 8:42 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: 0.75A variac suitable for vintage radios?

Hi Nick, if the radio is rated below 180 Watts it should be fine to use.
Slight overloads for a short time should nor be a problem as it has a pronounced thermal lag.
Note that the rating refers to the Wiper current, not the input current as the carbon brush is the limiting factor.

Ed
Old 17th May 2015, 8:48 pm   #3
glowinganode
Octode

Hi Nick, 0.75A sounds a bit on the lean side, but it depends what sort of radio you intend to use it to power. If you are going to power an AC/DC set with it, I'd suggest 2A is a good compromise between cost and durability.
Rob.
Old 18th May 2015, 6:25 pm   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

It is a bit on the lean side, yes, but should still be within its ratings even with an AC/DC set using a 0.3A chain.

If the choice is between having a 0.75A Variac or no Variac at all, take it and use it! Just put a fuse in series with the wiper output.
Old 18th May 2015, 11:08 pm   #5
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

For my bench supply, I use a small 1 amp variac in conjunction with a CVT-type isolating transformer that is only rated at 120VA. This saturates at anything over 0.5 amp and the output voltage just falls away, which is quite a useful safety feature. I also monitor the AC current drawn by the receiver under test, and most 'normal' vintage valve radios draw little more than 150mA if working properly. So for most radio purposes, I'd say that your 0.75 amp variac will be more than adequate.

Perhaps if you were supplying larger devices such as TV sets etc you would need something a bit bigger.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 19th May 2015, 11:36 am   #6
broadgage
Nonode

Yes, a 0.75 amp variac will be fine for almost any domestic radio receiver.
I would regard 0.4 amps as about the highest mains input current likely for a transformerless AC/DC set. That allows for a 0.3 amp heater chain (many are less) and for 0.1 amp HT.

A set with a mains transformer will probably be less unless of most improbable size.
Old 19th May 2015, 6:34 pm   #7
SurreyNick
Heptode

Well all of that is really good news and I'm very happy as I have managed to pick up everything I need to assemble the unit, including the AE variac, for just £43.20 and that even included postage!
Should take just an afternoon to assemble it too
Many thanks
Nick
Old 21st May 2015, 5:30 am   #8
FrankB
Heptode

Just remember to de-rate the .75A rating if you are using it to put out a very low voltage.
After a chat with one of the variable autotransformer company engineers, A number of years back; I found out the rating is across the entire winding, not just part of it.
This explained why the transformer I was using on quite low output voltage let out all the factory smoke.
Here at the hamfairs one can usually find a nice one rated for 5A for $25-30.00 USD.
Often much less if you can find an old piece of equipment with one of them in it, and buy the equipment for the spares in it, and pull the trans. out of it.
I always use a variable auto trans. with an appropriately rated isolation trans. also.
Its not fun getting fried by a hot chassis radio or TV set. Been there, done that.
Most of my var. TX. setups I built are 5-10A and fully metered and fused.

I like the idea of a CVT setup, and will try to find one here to use.
Old 21st May 2015, 9:42 am   #9
broadgage
Nonode

I fail to see why the current rating of a variac would be reduced at low output voltages.
Surely the current rating of say 0.75 amps is determined by the current carrying capacity of the winding wire or of the carbon brush, neither of which is affected by the output voltage setting.

The output capacity in KVA does indeed reduce at low voltages, and variacs used to be rated in VA/KVA.
If a variac is rated at 2.4KVA at 240 volts, you certainly can not draw 2.4KVA from it with the output set to 24 volts as that would be 100 amps. But I believe that you could draw the 10 amps continually at any voltage from a 2.4KVA variac.
Old 21st May 2015, 11:05 am   #10
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,

This document ,although technically only referring to Claude Lyons Variacs, is a good introduction to their use.

http://www.claudelyons.co.uk/pdf/tech.pdf

It states that "Rated current can be drawn at any brush setting"

Yours, Richard
Old 22nd May 2015, 6:02 pm   #11
SurreyNick
Heptode

This question is slightly off topic but I didn't think it worth starting a new thread, so I hope you will forgive me.

My question is....how hot is the variac likely to get?
I need to decide whether it is necessary to drill ventilation holes in the enclosure.

Nick.
Old 22nd May 2015, 7:57 pm   #12
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

FrankB is in USA, 115v so twice the current!
You will be fine with minimal ventilation, you are not running it at full output with a radio, and not for hours on end either.
Regard a variac as test equipment. Short time use intervals are all you need for repair work.
I have used 0.5A variac on battery chargers at near full current and never cooked one yet.
Closed Thread