UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2018, 7:05 pm   #1
coopzone
Hexode

Default Output transformer for Vidor CN429 (any battery portable really)

Has anyone got a cheap output transformer for a battery mw/lw radio, this one is a vidor "Lady Margaret" but I am pretty sure any transformer for a DL96 valve will do it.

I can pay postage etc and a reasonable amount for the transformer.

Derek

p.s. Currently working on a 240V/6V transformer for testing. It's not to far of the original - surprisingly.
Old 6th May 2018, 7:30 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Output transformer for Vidor CN429 (any battery portable really)

I've also got one of these small Vidor radios in need of an output transformer - me and a hundred other forum members I suspect. These nearly always have o/c output transformers due to having batteries left in them and the venting of corrosive gasses in a confined and un-ventilated space rotting the primary windings. These have the same rareness as a non broken speed change knob for the early BSR record changer and the Bush badge from their well known record player - people are always asking for them and none are spare because there's more broken and missing than there are scrap units to rob. So I think you'll be joining the end of a very long queue. However, I understand that RS does a near enough replacement fairly cheap and also there's the two forum transformer and coil re-winders, Ed Dinning and Mike Barker.

Myself, I'm hoping to find a suitable transformer amoungst my ancient stash, or failing that, I'll do as you're doing at the moment with a small mains transformer.

Good luck with it.
Old 6th May 2018, 7:47 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Just a reminder that the turns ratio isn't critical and any transformer from a scrap set is likely to work acceptably well, even if from a mains set. The difficulty is physically fitting them into the available space.
Old 7th May 2018, 9:05 am   #4
coopzone
Hexode

Ok I think I get the picture! We are talking "Sun on a bank holiday", "Hens teeth" etc. So I have constructed a small metal bracket (from an old biscuit tin lid!) and fitted the 240v/6v mains transformer in the same location the original was in. It works ok, probably put the hi-fi enthusiasts teach on edge - but this is an old AM radio so 20-20khz is never going to happen!

I think maybe the ops could move this to the "Domestic radio" forum to help others, thanks.

Derek
Old 7th May 2018, 10:04 am   #5
Leon Crampin
Octode

A small mains transformer (say 3 VA) chosen to give the right ratio will do for a battery portable. The standing DC in the primary is generally insufficient to saturate the core.

Leon.
Old 7th May 2018, 3:20 pm   #6
coopzone
Hexode

Pictures of fitted transformer, working ok. Still a way to go to finish the restore, but currently enjoying the garden listening to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	162378   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	162379  
Old 8th May 2018, 1:36 am   #7
Argus25
No Longer a Member

I would like to alert members to a "darling" of a baby output transformer suited to battery valve radios, its 45 x 35 x 40 mm and is enclosed in metal covers which gives it a vintage look.

So firstly, it has a suitable size for these radios and a good vintage look to it. It was in fact originally designed by Fender for a reverb unit, but it makes for a wonderful single ended low power audio output transformer.

Secondly, its impedance is 14.5k to 4R. which is suited to the relatively high plate resistances of small battery valve audio output valves. I have used these in vintage battery sets and they are also fine with an 8R speaker.

This transformer is available from Wes Components:

https://www.wes.com.au/mediapub/eboo...p/1383/#zoom=z

PART CODE NSC022921 called a "Fender Coupling Transformer"

I don't think it is air gapped (butt stacked) but as noted with the low anode currents in these radios, it doesn't matter.
Old 8th May 2018, 8:36 am   #8
Cobaltblue

Seems you have to register to get a price so how much is it?

Cheers

Mike T
Old 8th May 2018, 10:52 am   #9
ionburn
Heptode

I used the one supplied by RS components. It needs minute attention to fit in a Lady Margaret, but works well. Just to remember to change the coupling capacitor to the output stage as, if this is faulty, it may have caused the problem.
Old 8th May 2018, 11:26 am   #10
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Seems you have to register to get a price so how much is it?
I don't have the WES price list on hand, but I'm pretty sure this is the same one at AES for $15:

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...t-3-12-w-8-ohm

so not a dear part.
Closed Thread