UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2018, 1:48 am   #41
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Re: DIY LED indicator for DIY 9V audio amplifier ?

Most useful, thanks so much. I substituted the old resistor with a 33K one and the white LED is not so bright anymore, but more than adequate for my purposes. As per my calculations, it is now drawing only 0.3 mA which is remarkable.
In relation to the amplifier itself, it is based on a TDA2822 chip and is driving a large vintage 3 ohm electrodynamic speaker quite well, without need for any transformer etc.
Old 5th May 2018, 10:02 am   #42
mhennessy
Dekatron

I've just searched and found a complete module using that chip for just £1.27 with free postage. It even includes a volume control (and knob). I never cease to be amazed at what you can get for next to nothing... The TDA2822 is another chip that went obsolete many years ago yet is still being supplied somehow. Certainly a worthwhile upgrade on the LM386 - not least because it's stereo

Glad it's sorted now
Old 6th May 2018, 12:31 am   #43
Argus25
No Longer a Member

As I mentioned on post 22, for battery powered apparatus, it is good if possible to get more value/function from the LED. Just wired with a resistor, it doesn't tell you much about the state of the battery.

One simple and easy trick for gear running from 9V, with LED's dropping 2 to 3V is to put a 3 to 4.7V zener diode in series with the LED & its resistor. It means you use a smaller value series resistor , but you can still have a good brightness LED. This way, as the battery voltage crashes below 5 to 6V, or thereabouts, the LED tends to fairly suddenly go out, letting you know the battery needs changing/charging. And adding a single zener diode is cheap.
Old 6th May 2018, 12:46 am   #44
Jolly 7
Octode

I might have a suitable Zener lying around and will use it as advised . Thanks for the very useful tips. Hope to post a pic of the amplifier in situ once all done. At the moment I am fitting a 9V DC socket to the cabinet for use with a DC adaptor as and when needed.
Old 6th May 2018, 2:06 am   #45
julie_m
Dekatron

The Zener trick is a good one.

I did think of using an LM2903 to light the LED only under no-signal conditions (since you should be able to hear the amplifier working anyway, when there is something playing through it) but this probably would also end up using at least as much power as it saved.

If you wanted to be really frugal, you could add a small push-to-make switch to use the LED as a "battery test" light; with perhaps an extra, standard diode cunningly wired so that the LED will always light up when the unit is powered via the DC jack.