UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2013, 5:09 pm   #1
enquirium
Triode

Default Eagle K-140 Multimeter

Hi

Bought this at local car boot for a quid . The seller had no idea of its history .

Has anyone any experience with one of these meters ?

I'd say early / mid 70's . Reminds me of those 70's Japanese hifi seperates ' built like battleships ' I think the phrase went .
Excellently large scale , nice leather carrying strap and presumably it originally had a leather case with a space for carrying the test leads .

Unfortunately its reading slighly low on all scales , a consistant error although theres no 'sticky ' spots which indicates a duff meter mechanism . The needle swings smoothly across whole scale . Maybe a bit of friction in meter due to years of being unused .

Anyhows , I think it's a keeper if only for the sheer size of the beast

Cheers .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 135.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	84000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 136.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	84001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 137.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	84002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 138.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	84003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 139.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	84004  

Old 12th Sep 2013, 5:35 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Eagle K-140 Multimeter

Eagle made quite a lot of hobbyist test gear at that time. It's all quite well built though a bit crude. I have the TT145 transistor tester, which is actually still usable, though the hfe reading is pretty inaccurate once it gets over 200.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00144.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	84005   Click image for larger version

Name:	x.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	84006  
Old 12th Sep 2013, 8:06 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Those were quite decent meters. If all ranges have shifted the same amount, it might be loss of magnetisation in the meter. If there isn't a single shunt resistor to take care of this, then you face changing every resistor in the beastie :-(

David
Old 12th Sep 2013, 9:25 pm   #4
Alistair D
Nonode

Paul, just to clarify, Eagle made very little - if any - themselves. They badge engineered most of it. The meter in question is a Kyoritsu K-140. They did not even change the model number.

I have an Eagle K-142 that looks almost identical to the K-140. You can find pictures of the K-142 as a Kyoritsu on the Radiomuseum site.

enquirium, you may be lucky. I had to replace a few resistors on my meter to get the accuracy back. Hopefully it is just a resistor that needs changing. I have just had a look at the last picture. The three pots on the board in the middle are almost certainly calibration pots.

If you succeed in getting it to full spec I have, somewhere, a bag of spare rubber feet and the US thread screws that you can have a couple from.

Al

Last edited by Alistair D; 12th Sep 2013 at 9:36 pm. Reason: Added paras
Old 13th Sep 2013, 4:29 pm   #5
enquirium
Triode

Many thanks folks .

They are indeed calibration pots Alistair D . As you can see below.

I'll have a twiddle and see if I can compensate for the error .

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 140.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	84023   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 141.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	84024  
Old 13th Sep 2013, 5:09 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair D View Post
Paul, just to clarify, Eagle made very little - if any - themselves.
I don't think they actually manufactured anything. They operated out of a small office / workshop round the back of the British Museum, very convenient for the Tottenham Court Road, and badged lots of consumer audio as well as test gear. They always seem to have obtained exclusivity for the British market and I don't recall ever seeing their stuff with someone else's name on it.

They chose their suppliers well, mostly from Japan, and had a reputation for good quality at an affordable price. I have one of their table radios in the loft somewhere, very similar to products from Roberts and Grundig of the same era.
Old 13th Sep 2013, 6:09 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

Taylor's (available) Ltd.... a component shop in Huddersfield stocked a lot of their stuff especially multimeters and components.

I came across their range of little audio mixers and PA amplifiers which were cheap, effective and very good value. I had some of their cheap microphones and a pair of stereo headphones. I agree with Paul that Eagle stuff was very good value, and it's interesting to hear a bit about who they were.

David
Old 13th Sep 2013, 6:20 pm   #8
threeseven
Octode

Their catalogue was a source of great interest to me during my formative electrickery years! More than one home build speaker system issued from my adolescent bedroom workshop using drive units and crossovers from Eagle!
Old 13th Sep 2013, 8:10 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Here's a one I was given a few years ago. The pointer is very sensitive to static when running a finger over the meter!

It's a 'KEW-33' but is badged up as 'Eagle'. It still has the price on the box: £8 - 12 - 0.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	meter.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	84035  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 13th Sep 2013, 9:31 pm   #10
Alistair D
Nonode

That was the first meter I ever owned. Bought it new around 1968. Eventually the case ended glued together from having been dropped a few times. It still worked when I gave it away years later.

Al