UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2006, 7:21 pm   #1
Gordon
Pentode

Default Buckled back cover

The set I'm restoring at the moment has a back panel which is badly buckled. It's made from the usual brown, compressed fibre stuff. I am thinking of damping it and then drying it with weights on top. Can anybody give any advice , I don't want the thing to disintegrate.

Gordon
Old 26th Jan 2006, 11:42 pm   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Post Re: Buckled back cover

Moistening then damping with weights should work. Instead of water, have you thought of trying steam, from a kettle? I think I also read somewhere that de-laminating can be cured by soaking with a dilute solution of PVA adhesive, clamping and allowing to dry.

Good luck,

Phil G4SPZ

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 27th Jan 2006, 4:11 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Buckled back cover

Gordon, I can vouch for the dampening approach. A few years ago, I had a Bush TV22 back panel which was severely buckled. After dampening it with a wet cloth (ensuring that all of the surface is soaked) I laid it on a flat surface with a weighted board on top. A few days later when it had dried, I removed the board and was pleased to see a perfectly flat panel.
Neil
Old 27th Jan 2006, 7:17 pm   #4
Gordon
Pentode

Thanks Phil and Neil.
I dampened the back with a sponge and then laid it on a polythene sheet on a table top with weights. After about two days I removed the weights and it had dried and flattened nicely. I put it to one side and after about four days the buckle had returned. I will try once more before I give up.
Gordon.
Old 27th Jan 2006, 7:30 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I may be stating the obvious, but it probably hadn't completely dried out. I would be inclined to leave it longer next time you try.
Old 27th Jan 2006, 7:50 pm   #6
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll
I may be stating the obvious, but it probably hadn't completely dried out. I would be inclined to leave it longer next time you try.
It might be a good idea to put something more absobent between the "back" and the polythene to help the water escape or lay it somewhere like a clean concrete garage floor which would absorb more HTH

Mike
Old 28th Jan 2006, 11:30 am   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelect
or lay it somewhere like a clean concrete garage floor which would absorb more
I think that's an excellent idea and will definitely try it one day (assuming I can find enough free floor space of course).

Nick.
Old 31st Jan 2006, 9:40 pm   #8
Ben_Dijkman
Pentode

Hello.
A good warm flat-iron(use your wife's one) can do miracles as well.
Use allways an old sheet or something like that between board and flat-iron.
Often water is not even needed.
If the board has a top-layer made of plastic or something like that..do not make it to much hot offcource.Only "clean" board is no problem even with verry hot temperatures.
To begin at the top off the Buckle,is mostly the best option,
sometimes the hole site works better:Just try and you 'll see what works the best.

If you want/need to use water on a board, be verry carefull!
By puttin to much water at once at the top of a board,the wet board can
"split-up" from the dryer layers under,and more dammage is a fact.
Wetten it verry smoothly and slowly.Out onn misty days (rainy days under a carport f.i)So the baord will get "wet" equal.
Closed Thread