UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:58 pm   #1
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Default Schuko CEE7/4

Not sure if this is the right section but it is now fairly old technology. I have a question about European plugs / sockets. When I move to Hungary all my mains kit will have the wrong plugs on so I'm working out what to do in the short term for equipment I need to use. Actually I do have one thing with the correct plug, my compressor came with an adapter to convert its moulded Schuko plug to 13 amp.
I have bought a few travel adapters in Tesco but they are unearthed so not suitable for class 1 appliances. I also have a short adapter lead for using a caravan mains supply in Europe. I was comparing these today and noticed the pins are thicker on the caravan one than the Tesco adapters. I just dug out the micrometer and measured them, the caravan one is the correct 4.8 mm but the Tesco ones are only 3.9 mm. but only rated at 7.5 amp. I gather that the design of the socket is such that the thinner pins will still be adequately gripped so is this accepted practice for low current applications?
Old 9th Jun 2011, 1:11 am   #2
robin0577
Pentode

Default Re: Schuko CEE7/4

Best solution is probably to buy some proper good quality schuko plugs, and either fit them to the appliaces or make good quality cable adapters. The cheap travel adapters are rarely well enough made to stand a high current in the long term.

Decent schuko plugs are available from a few supplies in the UK, including the company I work for, PM me for details if needed.
Old 9th Jun 2011, 3:53 am   #3
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Buy some schuko plugs and get the female mains plug and make simple adaptors, don't buy the cheapy travel adapters, they wont handle the current.
-Chris
Old 9th Jun 2011, 10:38 am   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Schuko CEE7/4

Hi,
In France and across Europe, I imagine, the sockets are designed to grip both diameters of pins. Schuko plugs are rated at 16amps and the two pin plugs are 7.5amps. UK travel adapters tend to be for holiday use only and can be quite flimsy. Some two pin plugs have their pins converging slightly to improve the grip.
Incidentally, I found one here with full size pins and earthed, that will take a 13amp plug or a 5amp round pinner. Very handy as I've got a few of those.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Pete
Old 9th Jun 2011, 12:59 pm   #5
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Take an Earthed schuko plug, a UK 4-way extension strip, cut off the UK plug, wire on the Schuko plug, and there you have an adaptor...

Of course, don't use with high power appliances, use the appropriate fuses in the UK plugged equipment, and don't overload the strip with 2 or 3 way adaptors...

It's safer than the cheap adaptors, saves you money on replacing a load of plugs, and it retains the fused nature of UK equipment...
Old 9th Jun 2011, 4:31 pm   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Modern sockets will accept the 4.8mm pins of Schuko (CEE7/4) universal (CEE7/7) and unearthed (CEE7/17), however I think you might find some older sockets in Hungary that accept only the 4mm pins of Europlug (CEE7/16) and correspondingly older plugs. This is because many fittings in Eastern Europe were made to the Russian GOST 7396C1 standard that used 4mm pins.

Conversely, all Schuko and French (CEE7/5) sockets accept 4mm in order to be compatible with Europlug, albeit at reduced rating compared to their inherent 16A maximum.

Lucien
Old 9th Jun 2011, 6:47 pm   #7
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvbloke View Post
Take an Earthed schuko plug, a UK 4-way extension strip, cut off the UK plug, wire on the Schuko plug, and there you have an adaptor...

Of course, don't use with high power appliances, use the appropriate fuses in the UK plugged equipment, and don't overload the strip with 2 or 3 way adaptors...

It's safer than the cheap adaptors, saves you money on replacing a load of plugs, and it retains the fused nature of UK equipment...
Yes, that was the plan. I didn't realise I could buy plugs in UK so I had expected to fit the plugs in Hungary. The travel adapters will be OK for the various wallwarts, table lamps etc.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 7:32 pm   #8
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I might be doing them a disservice, but I wouldn't automatically assume that all Hungarian sockets are earthed just because an earth pin is present
Old 14th Jun 2011, 10:15 pm   #9
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Schuko CEE7/4

Hi,
I wouldn't either. When we bought this house I told my wife to do the ironing in the hallway as there was a two-pole-plus-earth socket there. It was only after I began to sort out the electrics months later that I removed the socket from the wall and found that no earth wire was present .
Lesson one - never assume that an "earthed" socket is.
Cheers, Pete
Old 16th Jun 2011, 8:19 am   #10
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

No, in eastern Europe the electrics tend to leave a lot to be desired so I'm not expecting luxuries like an earth. Long term I will rewire the house to my own standards and if possible get the supply upgraded to 3 phase.
Closed Thread