UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2005, 4:30 pm   #1
andy b
Retired Dormant Member

Default "RGD 1155" AUGUST 1938 value please

Hi all,
I now know that my radio i found on monday is an 'RGD 1155 'of '1938' ,in good condition can anybody put a value on this please

Andrew
Old 17th Nov 2005, 6:03 pm   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: "RGD 1155" AUGUST 1938 value please

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy b
Hi all,
I now know that my radio i found on monday is an 'RGD 1155 'of '1938' ,in good condition can anybody put a value on this please

Andrew
We don't really do values, Andy - it depends entirely on what someone wants to buy it for! There are also all sorts of other imponderables as well.
Old 17th Nov 2005, 10:38 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Mike's right.

RGDs were superior radios, in fact, one of the best and most expensive to buy.

But values today depend on so many other things. On the whole, small radios are more collectable, as are those in Bakelite cases - but paradoxically, these were often features of sets that were produced cheaply.

As an example, there was a magnificent RGD pre-war radiogram on eBay recently which must have cost an absolute fortune when new. It was in pretty good condition, and was a very rare model indeed. But it struggled to find a new owner, in part because of its size.

As you might imagine, condition is very important. But an amateurish re-finishing or repair job can de-value a set tremendously. If you're not au fait with old radios, it's best to sell in "as-found" condition, and leave renovation to the buyer.

Your best bet would be to set up a search for "RGD radio" on eBay and add it to your eBay favourites, asking it to e-mail you when one turns up. Note that later RGDs were very run-of-the-mill indeed, nothing like the early models.

Alternatively, if you want to sell and are willing to let it go for whatever it fetches, do put it on eBay, but make sure you take several good pictures (including the insides) and be realistic about postage (i.e. that sending old radios through the post is difficult, requiring a lot of special packaging and expense). Make sure it appears as "RGD" and not "RDG" as so many seem to. Also be aware that many quality old radios on eBay go to twits who rob them of their rare valves, selling these on at a profit to hi-fi fanatics.

Nick.
Old 17th Nov 2005, 10:45 pm   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Like Mike I would not like to get into the valuation game but I can say that the 1125 is a very interesting set. It was a high spec expensive set with seperate tuner and amplifier chassis. The amplifier had a push-pull output stage using triodes and the tuner employed an automatic motorised tuning system. There is a very comprehensive manufacturers manual for it available from Paul Stenning.
Old 17th Nov 2005, 10:51 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol
It was a high spec expensive set with seperate tuner and amplifier chassis.
That's just the kind of radio that would appeal to the "audiophools", to whom I was referring previously

Quote:
There is a very comprehensive manufacturers manual for it available from Paul Stenning.
Amazing! It's beautifully produced, and reminds me of a physics text-book in places

Nick

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 17th Nov 2005 at 10:55 pm.
Old 18th Nov 2005, 9:24 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Just been drooling over the manual. Why can't I get a second house?

Please don't let the cannibals get it, Andy. I wonder if Keith near York wants it?
Old 19th Nov 2005, 2:05 am   #7
350i
Triode

I've been watching this, having a soft spot for consoles, and asked the seller for some photos. Considering bidding for it, but this would depend on how big (or massive) it is, how I would get it all the way from Northampton to the Newcastle area and whether I could sneak it past my wife for a while ! Would be a shame for it to be stripped .
Can any RGD experts tell me the technical features of this particular model, eg. does it have AFC etc., also what are it's dimensions and has anyone seen one of these turn up before ?

Thanks
Trevor
Old 19th Nov 2005, 9:20 am   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350i
Can any RGD experts tell me the technical features of this particular model, eg. does it have AFC etc., also what are it's dimensions and has anyone seen one of these turn up before ?

Thanks
Trevor
Hi Trevor,

A link to it on eBay, for those who may not have seen it...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RARE-1930s-ART...QQcmdZViewItem

The chassis is the same as that of the 1175 radiogram: it does have AFC, an RF stage active on all bands, and 9 watts rated output, and was the top model in the 1938 range. Its dimensions appear to have been accidentally omitted from the RGD catalogue (those of all the other models are given), but it looks similar to, probably just a little larger than, the model 1135, which is 32" high x 22" wide by 16 1/2" deep.

I've not seen one myself: the nearest model I've met was an 1135 some years ago outside a shop in North Shields, and I've regretted ever since not trying to arrange its transportation to Durham. I'd imagine the 1155 would be rather a scarce set, priced as it was only 20 guineas below the equivalent radiogram, and indeed two guineas above the 1153, which was itself a perfectly good eleven-valve motor-tuned radiogram with lower output (5 1/2 watts) and a smaller loudspeaker.

Paul
Old 19th Nov 2005, 1:05 pm   #9
andy b
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: "RGD 1155" AUGUST 1938 value please

Hi everyone ,

The dimensions are as follows 92cm high x 71cm wide x 41cm deep if you need any more pictures please ask .

Andrew
Old 19th Nov 2005, 1:08 pm   #10
andy b
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: "RGD 1155" AUGUST 1938 value please

the original cost when new was 55 guineas in 1938
Old 21st Nov 2005, 12:46 am   #11
350i
Triode

Thanks for that info Paul, a very interesting set. I'm going to have to think hard about this - it isn't so much the distance that's putting me off ( though it doesn't help), it's the size of the thing. 28" wide by 16" deep is massive! By comparison a Murphy A40C is only 25" x 12". Seems a very plain looking cabinet for something so big too.
Trevor
Old 21st Nov 2005, 12:52 am   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The current bidder seems to be a cannibal, as Mike put it
Old 21st Nov 2005, 3:42 am   #13
Paul_RK
Dekatron

It is pretty big, isn't it: 36"x28"x16" is quite comparable to the Defiant MSH957, which is my own usual yardstick for such things and measures 42"x25"x15". Still, I'd not hesitate to find the space for it if it were anywhere near here, and the banded mirrored veneering looks rather spectacular to me. I expect the bidding has a long way to go yet, but I'd certainly hate to see it butchered, only the more so as I have the same chassis here (from the 1175 radiogram) built into a relatively uninteresting joiner-built '50s 'gram cabinet.

Paul
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 3:12 pm   #14
andy b
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: "RGD 1155" guess the final price(ends today)

Well people the rgd ends today at 10pm does anyone want to guess the final price? who will be nearest !
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 7:52 pm   #15
ukcol
Rest in Peace

I decided to bid for this very interesting set, but it looks like I'm not going to win.

I hope it goes to a radio enthusiast and not an asset stripper.
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 7:54 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
I hope it goes to a radio enthusiast and not an asset stripper.
But the high bidder does seem to be an asset stripper, judging by his sales

Good luck, Colin
Old 23rd Nov 2005, 11:35 pm   #17
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Congratulations Trevor another gem saved from the hatchet men.
Old 24th Nov 2005, 12:01 am   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Wow, £410 eh?

Well done Trevor, as someone who thinks very hard before spending £41 on a valve radio, I admire your dedication to the cause

Nick.
Old 25th Nov 2005, 7:16 am   #19
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Congratulations again to Trevor on a fine purchase, and thanks on the nation's behalf : and while I'm about it congratulations to Andy on what's probably proved a profitable find

I'm yet another very satisfied customer for the manual from Paul Stenning, not just from curiosity as I hope eventually to give my 1175 radiogram chassis the attention, if not the cabinet or deck , it deserves.

Paul
Old 26th Nov 2005, 12:52 am   #20
350i
Triode

Yes, it was a lot to pay for it, probably twice what it would have gone for in an ordinary radio related auction ( and that lovely 1201 went for just £150 recently!).But this kind of radio is right up my street ,and even though I tried to talk myself out of buying it for 7 days I decided I had to have it. To me it's worth every penny and lets face it, I doubt I'll see another.
I just hope those triodes are ok.....!
Paul, you have pm.
Regards
Trevor
Closed Thread