UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2017, 2:39 pm   #1
Station X

Default "Everyday Electronics" and other defunct magazines.

Does anyone know hat happened to this title? Was it absorbed into another publication, or did it just shut down?

I ask because I've come across the August 1980 edition. Before throwing magazines away I check to see whether they've been archived on the 'net, but I can't find an archive for this publication.

Thanks.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Dec 2017, 2:42 pm   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: "Everyday Electronics" Magazine.

Became Everyday Practical Electronics (EPE) which is still published!

What became of the volume numbering, I don't know though... Whether restarted from zero; whether it continued with the Practical Electronics numbering; or continued the Everyday Electronics numbering, I'd be interested to know!
Old 8th Dec 2017, 2:48 pm   #3
Station X

Thanks.

Got it:-

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...lectronics.htm

Old 8th Dec 2017, 4:58 pm   #4
KeithsTV
Nonode

The last issue of Practical Electronics was October 1992 and is labelled as "Final Issue - Collectors edition". Inside there is an announcement that due to the changing fortunes of this sort of magazine it was to merge with Everyday Electronics. The numbering assumed the Everyday Electronics system, the last PE was volume 28 issue 10 and the first edition of the merged magazine was volume 21 issue 11.

I've seen several magazines come and go, they all start well then as the decline sets in the number of pages per issue drops until they either cease publication or are absorbed by another magazine publisher.

Keith
Old 8th Dec 2017, 5:14 pm   #5
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
I've seen several magazines come and go, they all start well then as the decline sets in the number of pages per issue drops until they either cease publication or are absorbed by another magazine publisher.

Keith
Indeed. I have two copies of "Amateur Radio" dating from the 1980's, but can find no reference to the title on the 'net.

Old 8th Dec 2017, 5:20 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

On a related topic, whatever happened to 'Radio & Electronics World', which was a successor to 'Radio & Electronics Constructor'
Old 8th Dec 2017, 5:25 pm   #7
Station X

Default Re: "Everyday Electronics" and other defunct magazines.

Some info here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=127001

Old 8th Dec 2017, 5:30 pm   #8
KeithsTV
Nonode

Radio & Electronics World started in October 1981 and by 1988 the page count had dropped. I stopped buying it at the end of 1988 and I think it folded in 1989.

Keith
Old 9th Dec 2017, 12:33 am   #9
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Absolutely. There was Amateur Wireless, they carried on till about 1933 then got taken over by Practical Wireless. For a time, the magazine (weekly!) was titles "Practical and Amateur Wireless," then it reverted to just "Practical Wireless" but there was a note inside, in the publisher details that it incorporated Amateur Wireless, until I believe the 1950's. However, I'm certain that this has now been long dropped...

Thanks for the info on volume numbers, by the way!
Old 9th Dec 2017, 12:43 am   #10
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I rather liked 'Wireless World'. There were letters from someone called Ivor Catt and other correspondents over a very long period about audio amplifiers right down to the nth degree.

It had some good articles in it which I found quite challenging, but which spurred me on in my studies (this was the '70s and '80s). After a while it started to get thinner and thinner...

None of today's magazines have the job adverts in them that they used to. I suppose the internet and job agencies have taken care of that, and I guess many of the jobs no longer exist. But the good thing is that the advertisements were aimed at readers who, by definition, were interested in that sort of employment.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 9th Dec 2017, 8:40 am   #11
KeithsTV
Nonode

It's quite ironic that Practical Electronics merged with Everyday Electronics when you consider that the latter was a spin off from the former back in 1971!

Keith
Old 9th Dec 2017, 12:41 pm   #12
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Wireless World in the 70s and 80s was a good magazine for enthusiasts. I progressed to it from Practical Wireless. WW gradually lost its direction and then, under a new editor, turned into an industry rag just as the internet was really taking off and replacing magazines.
Old 9th Dec 2017, 1:19 pm   #13
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

When I was first into hobby electronics (pre working age) I was on a strict diet of 'Everyday Electronics' which I bought faithfully for a number of years, but I also loved ETI with its fondness for epic homebrew music synthesiser projects.

I also loved 'Elektor' with its distinct circuit diagram / PCB artwork style and slightly unique feel, probably due to its continental origin. I always looked forward to the bumper 'Summer circuits' edition and there was often an 'April Fool' circuit - something very well designed and plausible, but useless - like the car lock de-icer project which was powered from the lighter socket (inside the locked car).

Maplin's in-house electronics magazine wasn't too bad either - although often just a shop window for their own kits with better / broader descriptions than those which came with the kits, that wan't necessarily a bad thing.
Old 10th Dec 2017, 1:13 am   #14
Biggles
Rest in Peace

We used to get Wireless World at work, bought for us by our employer. Oh how things have changed! I used to like the Maplin magazines, and still have a few, as the kits were pretty comprehensive and well explained in the articles. I used to buy them when the back copies were sold in packs of five at a cheaper rate. I too used to look forward to my copy of "Everyday Electronics" arriving in the local shop when I was at school. It was an ideal magazine for schoolkids and the project level was just about right in complexity for that age. Some of the bits were a tad pricey sometimes for pocket money though.
Alan.
Old 10th Dec 2017, 11:25 am   #15
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I always liked ETI and Elektor - their level of domestic techiness pretty well matched mine.

Wireless World was also good - I appreciated some of their more-commercially-focussed reporting.

My favourites though - in the 1980s - were "Byte" "Electronic Design" and "RF Design" - - US publications but with a subscription (tax-deductible if you were a business..) they were airmailed to you sometimes arriving a day before they hit the newsstands in the US!

"Byte" was the must-read for hobbyist/small-computer types, and had a rather good series "Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar"; Electronic Design and RF Design were rather more commercial but often featured stuff by the late Bob Pease too.
Old 10th Dec 2017, 1:35 pm   #16
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Practical Wireless, Practical Electronics and Electronics Australia were my staples when we moved to NZ in the 60's.

Everyday Electronics didn't excite me for some reason when it came out.

Later Circuit Cellar was added to the reading list until Elektor took it up and completely screwed it over.

Nowadays, I don't take any on a regular basis.
Old 10th Dec 2017, 8:34 pm   #17
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

For me, one of the best ever magazines was Electronic Engineering. It morphed into this title about 1939 and continued until the 80's when it was then mainly advertising.
The tech articles were very well written as were the constructional ones. Research papers usually had an interesting application background.
I believe it was a "professionals" version of WW or that era.

I'm always on the look out for copies to complete my collection.

Ed
Old 11th Dec 2017, 5:50 pm   #18
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
The last issue of Practical Electronics was October 1992 and is labelled as "Final Issue - Collectors edition". Inside there is an announcement that due to the changing fortunes of this sort of magazine it was to merge with Everyday Electronics. The numbering assumed the Everyday Electronics system, the last PE was volume 28 issue 10 and the first edition of the merged magazine was volume 21 issue 11.
Thanks Keith. That saved me a trip out to my freezing cold stores where the PE and EPE magazines are stored.
Old 13th Dec 2017, 5:11 pm   #19
John10b
Nonode

If I may ask about a slightly different publication. The publication was called - The Post Office Engineering Journal - or something similar, sorry I just can’t remember title. This journal was excellent for students studying telecommunication and radio, it carried a full set of city and guilds model answers, which I used before my exams.
Does any remember this publication?
Cheers
John
Old 13th Dec 2017, 5:13 pm   #20
Station X

Of course. I had a set running from 1967 to 1996, but dumped them when I retired.

It went through various title changes following privatisation.

Closed Thread