UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2017, 11:08 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile EHT corona discharge cure?

Hi,
I've just repaired an 11" B/W CRT monitor and heard a slight EHT corona coming from the rubber cover over the connection to the tube. I thought a smear of Vaseline under the skirt of the cover might have cured it, but no.
There was originally some blue stuff applied during manufacture but it's dried out and now does nothing.
What can I put on in place of the Vaseline?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:10 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: EHT corona discharge cure?

Silicon grease?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:21 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Check that the glass around the anode connection as not a track burned in it. If the corona has been occurring over a a period of time it can happen. If that is the case it can be very difficult to repair. The rubber insulator is worth replacing , those can track also.
If the glass and insulator are ok then silicon grease is worth a try, you could also think about this product.
http://www.donberg.ie/descript/e/eht_seal_2.htm

Frank
Old 4th May 2017, 3:33 am   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Silastic used to be the go to product in one workshop I worked in (of a big multi-national, no less).

Bit of a pain to clean up when you had to replace a tripler at a later stage though.

Terry
Old 4th May 2017, 8:53 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: EHT corona discharge cure?

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
The discharge is slight and there's no sign of tracking. I'll try some bathroom silicon mastic and, if that doesn't work, I'll replace the anode cap.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 4th May 2017, 9:01 pm   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Don't use bathroom stuff!
The usual sort gives off acetic acid while curing, which will eventually corrode away the wire, if not the connector. I suspect the acid is conductive enough to make matters worse rather than better anyway.
Old 5th May 2017, 1:09 am   #7
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

You need to use neutral cure stuff - the one that doesn't smell like vinegar.

Terry
Old 5th May 2017, 1:51 pm   #8
ionburn
Heptode

My experiences in the past have taught me that the number one thing is that all surfaces are clean and dry. Generally it is a last resort to add additional insulation. If there were some originally then it may well need replacing but the EHT corona does concern me a bit, especially on what is a failrly low voltage B/W set.
Old 5th May 2017, 8:14 pm   #9
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

The stuff you need may be called "Corona Dope". It is available from here https://www.techsil.co.uk/mg-chemica...g-varnish-55ml for £7.50 inclusive of VAT and there's a similar product from Farnell.
Colin.
Closed Thread