UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2015, 12:02 am   #1
Aaamusements
Pentode

Default 3 interesting switches

In a box of many bits from a gentleman who kept everything from the war onwards, were 3 assorted interesting switches.

A Sunvic Simmerstat - From a heater?

16 Amp 250 volt clockwork timer switch - "Crater, England"

Chunky Bakelite switch from a heater of some kind. Still satisfyingly clunky in operation!

Any idea what they came off? And are they any use to anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	106498   Click image for larger version

Name:	025.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	106499   Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	106500   Click image for larger version

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	106501  
Old 4th Apr 2015, 2:52 am   #2
Aaamusements
Pentode

Default Re: 3 interesting switches

The bakelite plugs and light socket fittings:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	106504  
Old 4th Apr 2015, 8:22 am   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Simmerstats were (are?) the usual method for controlling 'radiant ring' hobs and the like.
The timer is most likely from something like a tumble dryer. What's its maximum 'on' time?
Not sure about the third switch, which is rather more specific - someone will probably reconise it though.
Old 4th Apr 2015, 9:05 am   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 3 interesting switches

Hi,
Have you been rummaging around in my cellar? I've quite a few of those plugs, etc. in a box down there!
The Simmerstat was indeed used in many electric cookers. I also have one one which is incorporated into a 13amp plug.
The switches look as if they may be from a very old hairdryer. Just a thought.
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sunvic 'stat plug (4).JPG
Views:	189
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	106509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunvic 'stat plug (5).JPG
Views:	160
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	106510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Box of plugs & sockets (4).jpg
Views:	220
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	106511  
Old 4th Apr 2015, 10:55 am   #5
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

The dual switch is from an 'Ormond' E1022 or equivalent hairdryer.
Ormond E1022 at MoDiP

There are a couple of unusual items in that box Pete!
Old 4th Apr 2015, 11:11 am   #6
sp10mk11
Octode

The second one reminds of the mechanical type used in early tumble dryers, great ticking sound, in the box there is heat control knob and that might have been of a Burco tumble dryer
Gary
Old 4th Apr 2015, 12:28 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

You can still buy the clockwork timers, they're used in Dualit toasters and garage battery chargers. Ditto simmerstats, still used in cooker rings and I recently bought one for a plate warming cabinet for a restaurant.
Old 4th Apr 2015, 12:29 pm   #8
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 3 interesting switches

Hi,
If there's anything you want out of the box for your museum, Lucien, you can PM me.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 4th Apr 2015, 1:41 pm   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I remember most of those from the time I started work, 13a plugs were only just beginning to be installed and in our area they were the round pin type with the live one being the fuse. We used the 2 pin 5a Clix plug in your picture for most things.

Peter
Old 5th Apr 2015, 8:26 am   #10
robin coleman
Hexode

There is a few in your box I have not got in my collection Pete.
Regards
Robin
Old 6th Apr 2015, 12:00 am   #11
Aaamusements
Pentode

Thanks everyone, the depth and the variety of knowledge on here never ceases to amaze me!
Old 6th Apr 2015, 1:48 am   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

If you carefully open up the Simmerstat, you will find it contains a miniature heating element with its own bimetallic thermostat. That is switched with the load (normally, a cooker ring) so the hotter the internal heater has to get to satisfy the thermostat, the longer the external device will get supplied with power. When the thermostat opens and the internal heater goes off, it will begin to cool down again; during which time, no more energy is supplied to the external device.

A clockwork timer from a tumble dryer will usually have two sets of contacts. In a tumble dryer, the fan usually runs alone for the last 5 or 10 minutes of the drying cycle, to cool the machine and clothes down to a safe temperature. So the contacts which are meant for the heating element will open 10 minutes before the contacts which are meant for the fan and drum motor open at the end. You can determine which is which, using a multimeter and winding up the timer in small increments to just past the point where the heater contactsx. Both sets of contacts will be good for several amperes, as it was usual to wire the "heater" contacts in series with the "motors" contacts so the heater could not come on unless the fan was blowing.