UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2019, 7:11 am   #41
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: When did PCB tracks become 'traces'?

Your point seems to relate to the introduction of Americanisms into the British lexicon.

One thing that business travel gives you is a tolerance of terminology. Provided the meaning is clear it doesn't really matter if it is an electronic schematic or a circuit diagram(me). And whether you use a zig-zag line for a resistor (which the Americans still do) or a rectangle is irrelevant for the purpose of clarity of meaning.

Other examples in autos (cars)

Fender (bumper)
Lug nuts (wheel nuts)
Trunk (boot)
Rocker panel (sill)
Hood (bonnet)

And don't ask for a napkin at a restaurant in the US, because you will be asking for a sanitary towel.

Craig
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 7:56 am   #42
G4YVM David
Heptode

What gets my goat Big time is the bbc online news headlines. They say things like "Libya engineer killed" or "France temperature record broken" when they really mean Libyan or French. Just why?? Probably because the writers are under twenty and I'm over fifty. So, they should of met up with shakespear and reached out...then they'd know.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 11:04 am   #43
ms660
Dekatron

I use the word schematic a lot, including on this forum.

I spent some years working on t'other side of the pond where that word is used a lot and it kinda stuck with me.

For me it take less effort to say it, write it or type it on my keyboard than circuit diagram, which suits me fine, just like train station.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 11:45 am   #44
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
………. just like train station.

Lawrence.
Lawrence, shame on you! Laziness just isn't a good enough answer!

Andy
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 12:19 pm   #45
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
'Train station' - can't see the problem. Easier to say, and shorter on signposts, than 'railway station.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
'Railway Station' has done the job for the best part of two centuries, there is simply no need to change it. But then the media seem to replace the word 'Railway' with 'Train' everywhere, even though the two words don't mean the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
...it take less effort to say it, write it or type it on my keyboard than circuit diagram, which suits me fine, just like train station.
Andy does have a point. Quarter of a mile from me there is a railway, linking Lynton with Lynmouth. No trains run on it though (just a single car each way) so 'Railway station' is correct and 'train station' definitely wouldn't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
And don't ask for a napkin at a restaurant in the US, because you will be asking for a sanitary towel.
Also, don't ask for a bag of chips to eat on the pavement, or you'll get a packet of crisps and be expected to eat them in the middle of the road.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 1:06 pm   #46
Skywave
Rest in Peace

In almost every country in the world, what a 'road' is and what it is used for is generally accepted and understood. Yet in the USA, they have 'railroads'. Cars on tracks? - or should that be 'traces' ?

When I first met the phrase 'step up to the plate', I thought it was a strangely-coded instruction of a call to dinner! Of course, I soon discovered that it refers to baseball - and American sport - which is not played here in the U.K. Consequently, the phrase has no meaning here and is, therefore, an undesirable import.

Another phrase which annoys me intensely is 'heads up'. What's wrong with 'Listen to / read this'; 'This is important'; 'Please take note' . . . . etc. ?

On the other hand, many years ago I met the phrase 'Don't push the river' *. That had me scratching my head for a long time, until I discovered that, in essence, it translates to 'go with the flow' - and as such, for me, 'Don't push the river' is a better way of expressing the same concept. The mental image that it creates is vivid and concise.

* Julia Fordham: "Falling Forward", 1994.

Al.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 1:08 pm   #47
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Lawrence, shame on you! Laziness just isn't a good enough answer!

Andy
Laziness has a place though: I think it was the great crime-writer Raymond Chandler who said something like "I'm paid by the word - I use short words to save time. Why write policeman or metropolis when cop and city are quicker to type?"

I like this attitude. Same goes for using acronyms. Why type "Regular Production Option" when you can type RPO?
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 1:09 pm   #48
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

The definition of a train in the context of a transport device comprising an engine pulling a train of carriages or trucks, dates from the 1830's.

And a place where such a device is stationary so that passengers can alight and embark is surely a train station(ary).

Railway station actually makes no sense because the rails of the railway are fixed and for ever stationary

Craig the pedant
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 1:13 pm   #49
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Wink Re: When did PCB tracks become 'traces'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Also, don't ask for a bag of chips to eat on the pavement, or you'll get a packet of crisps and be expected to eat them in the middle of the road.
Err, shouldn't that be 'French fries', 'sidewalk' and 'highway'?

Al.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 1:19 pm   #50
Skywave
Rest in Peace

We're all familiar with 'B.E.R' - Beyond Economic Repair'. I also use the abbreviation 'N.R.I' - 'Non Repairable Item' - an abbreviation which I find I am using more than ever these days.

Al.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 1:30 pm   #51
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Railway station actually makes no sense because the rails of the railway are fixed and for ever stationary
I don't have a problem with that. In 'railway station', the word 'railway' is being used as an adjective to qualify the noun 'station'. The 'station' is, of course, immovable. 'Railway' arises since it refers to a 'way' (as in 'route') of travelling between two (or more) places using 'rails'.

Al.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 6:55 pm   #52
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
On the other hand, many years ago I met the phrase 'Don't push the river'. That had me scratching my head for a long time, until I discovered that, in essence, it translates to 'go with the flow' - and as such, for me, 'Don't push the river' is a better way of expressing the same concept. The mental image that it creates is vivid and concise.
I get the idea - like 'Don't swim against the tide.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Laziness has a place though...write policeman or metropolis when cop and city are quicker to type?"

I like this attitude. Same goes for using acronyms. Why type "Regular Production Option" when you can type RPO?
And like the title of this thread, why write (you know what) when you can just write PCB?

TLA's are great!
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 7:22 pm   #53
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

On the subject of acronyms, I get really annoyed when folk use the acronym followed by the last word in full, for example 'SAM Missile', 'PIN number', 'HIV Virus', there are dozens more. And to stay on the radio topic, 'IF Frequency'.

Andy
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 7:50 pm   #54
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
On the subject of acronyms, I get really annoyed when folk use the acronym followed by the last word in full, for example 'SAM Missile', 'PIN number', 'HIV Virus', there are dozens more. And to stay on the radio topic, 'IF Frequency'.
Other members of this UKVRR repair forum may be interested in my recent fault-finding experience in tracking an annoying raspy random buzz on an early British BRC portable radio.

As a basic test, I checked the battery DC current, using my trusty Fluke digital DMM meter, but the reading showed a steady 31mA on the LCD display as the buzz came and went, about what would be expected. No clues there then!

Injecting a signal from my bench VFO oscillator, set to the 470kHz IF frequency, straight into the first-stage FET transistor's gate, and monitoring the audio signal conveniently at the LS speaker socket with my DSO storage 'scope, I found the injected steady CW wave was being AM modulated by something unknown.

Scoping the AVC control voltage rail, I saw the bias increase as the buzz came... obviously then, there was external radiated RFI interference getting in. Could it be from TTL logic circuitry in cost-cut household appliances which are barely EMC compatible? Leaning over, I touched my metal bench and the radio 0V line simultaneously, and immediately jerked back as I felt a strong tingle... how!!! The only mains equipment connected was the signal generator and the 'scope.

Making a mental note to get these PAT tested as soon as possible, I picked myself off the floor... As I did so, my phone dropped out of my pocket, the phone battery fell out, and straight away the interfering signal stopped. Eureka! It was clearly breakthough from the GSM mobile signal on the UHF frequency band... but how was it getting into the radio? Looking carefully, I saw the problem, a dry joint on one of the IFT transformer screening cans where it was soldered to the PCB board copper. A quick touch with the soldering iron and traditional 18SWG gauge SnPb leaded solder, and the problem was cured!
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 8:23 pm   #55
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: When did PCB tracks become 'traces'?

Fascinating: but for the 'phone incident, finding the cause of the problem could have taken you ages - well it certainly would have had me scratching my head. Which leads me to enquire - what would your fault-finding approach have been if the 'phone incident hadn't occurred?
Just curious.

Al.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 8:32 pm   #56
Red to black
Nonode

You seriously missed that one Al
Look again at the previous post #53 which Kalee20 quoted

Nicely done Kalee20 btw , it had me tickled

Last edited by Red to black; 3rd Jul 2019 at 8:42 pm.
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 8:43 pm   #57
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancs Lad View Post
Yes! Thankyou, Andy!

'Swapped out' REALLY grates on me

Not as bad as "Can I get....", instead of "Please may I have....", though!

I could go on.....!

On the weekend is one of mine .....
As well as sentences going up in pitch at the end - turning everything into a question
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 8:53 pm   #58

Railway station, a station upon the railway, perfect sense.

Old 3rd Jul 2019, 9:33 pm   #59
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Kalee20, just excellent!

Andy
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 9:42 pm   #60
Lancs Lad
Heptode

Oh! I get it - finally!

Had to read it several times before the penny dropped

Nice work, Kalee20

Peter.
Closed Thread