UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2019, 3:18 pm   #41
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Pageant P50

Blue Birds over the White Cliffs of Dover... [Standing looking through binoculars to France]

Come on Dave! Yes wire the switch for TV only. The FM will be rubbish anyway.
It is more than likely that some leakage was taking place through the Paxolin before that switch blew up. The Ekco 300 series used to do this blowing the heater of the HT rectifier, PY32/3. The AGC line is very high impedance and it takes only a tiny leak to earth, HT or any other part of the circuit to completely upset it's operation resulting in odd effect such as you are experiencing, lack of contrast control etc. It's typical of the faults you are likely to experience with 60 year old electronics that has probably been stored in the potting shed. That is the challenge.
That trombone switch looks grotty but I expect the other sections are probably spaced sufficiently away from the HT and heater switching and should not cause track over problems.
Persist with it. You have done most of the hard work. Regards John.
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 5:29 pm   #42
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I concur with John,
Study the circuit of the non FM models and just remove the switch. In fact the FM-TV switching in the set under discussion is very simple.
The attachment shows the heater supply switching.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P50_FMswitch.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	194238  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 11:19 am   #43
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I think you will only need to remove the wires from the effected burnt section of the switch [in the TV position]and link them together. By your description of the breakdown, this set of contacts appears to be H.T. switching and once removed from the Paxolin switch should allow the chassis to come to life again. John.
Old 26th Nov 2019, 12:33 pm   #44
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Too late I'm afraid. I'm really busy at the moment but I've almost removed the the switch completely. Lack of a correcct circuit diagram means I'm scratching my head over couple of connections but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually

Thanks
David
Old 26th Nov 2019, 7:05 pm   #45
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Always make notes, drawing out the switch and it's connections. I have a large A4 pad that is always to hand. These days we have the massive convenience of the instant digital camera at little cost. A few pictures will save endless head scratching. Keep at it Dave. John.
Closed Thread